Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Take a good look how buses in most panels are arranged.
So it's a double pole breaker that is used like for 220 and the (shared) neutral makes both sides operate as 110.....Same as the new range and dryer circuits they added a neutral I'm guessing for the controls.

I somehow don't like this new rule and I'm not a fan of MWBC's anyway

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here, we are required to put all 120v 15 and 20 amp kitchen outlets on AFCI, not just counter top. May be easier to find single pole afci instead of 2 pole. If that is the case, you couldn't share neutral.
Seems 2014 NEC states this and then what happens to the GFCI device do you still use that too?

Seems 2017 NEC will require whole dwelling to be AFCI

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,436 Posts
Stop worrying about prices of breakers. In a couple more code cycles, you'll need to buy nothing but $250 GFCI/AFCI/MWCI/HOCI/TMCI/DYCI/CO2CI/CBCI breakers.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,525 Posts
Even though my $2.50 breakers have been working fine for me for decades.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My guess is these CAF breakers are to protect us from faults in Chinese appliances, lamps, etc which are wired w/ 18 ga aluminum which is no doubt recycled ceiling grid from the world trade center :vs_lol:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
IrishSlave: Smart people learn that Sex leads to Kidds.........In the USA poor lazy and stupid are PAID to reproduce......:censored:

If you are building a flophouse kitchenette, maybe 6 circuits are too many, for an average American kitchen with about 8000 Watts of cooking toys on the countertops not so much...

Can you legally install 14 gauge wire in 20 amp rated outlet?

I'd spend more time on pricing the location of the main panel and maybe sub panel closer to densely wired areas.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,436 Posts
Why would there be a code specification for allowing use of a device that can handle more current than is being provided? :blink:
Plug a 20-amp load into a 20-a receptacle, protected by a 15-a OCD?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,436 Posts
nope. The legwork for this one is on you.
Nope. I didn't make any claims. So it's not up to me to prove anything.

That wasn't the question. Next you'll be asking me for a code reference allowing a 15A breaker on 12 gauge wire. :rolleyes:
No. So please stop assuming you know what I will do. That's totally assinine.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts