Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting some higher-end nail guns (Omer or similar), and using just two or three guns for everything, instead of keeping a collection like the old posts by loneframer.

It'd be cheaper to go 16/21 than 15/18/23, but having never used a 21 gauge, I'm not sure how it holds up over time on the inside edge of casing or on door stops (which can take some decent abuse). I know a lot of guys used to use just the 15 and 18 for everything, but I feel like a 21/23 would be nicer for prefinished cabinet moldings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too big a difference between 18 and 21, IMO.

I run 16, 18, 23.
That’s what I would’ve guessed, but I read some older posts by Justin Huisenga and Travis (Xtrememtnbiker) where they said they didn’t use the 18 gauge much since buying the 21, and the 23 was only for cabinet scribe and molding returns.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,201 Posts
16, 18, 23 here too. But I've never tried a 21ga. They aren't headless so they will have much more holding power and a bigger hole than a 23ga.

I feel that trim really needs at least 2" and 2.5" is better. Getting through 5/8"- 3/4" trim and 1/2" sheetrock you need to have to have some length and holding power to keep the trim tight to the wall.

If you are shooting wood trim into wood then 21 or 23ga is going to hold pretty well. I shoot two nails and cross them to give the 23ga much more holding power.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Price should not be an issue.

It might be nice to do more with less, but I wouldn’t trust a 21 instead of an 18.

Framer, 15, 18, 23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
16, 18, 23 here too. But I've never tried a 21ga. They aren't headless so they will have much more holding power and a bigger hole than a 23ga.

I feel that trim really needs at least 2" and 2.5" is better. Getting through 5/8"- 3/4" trim and 1/2" sheetrock you need to have to have some length and holding power to keep the trim tight to the wall.

If you are shooting wood trim into wood then 21 or 23ga is going to hold pretty well. I shoot two nails and cross them to give the 23ga much more holding power.
I agree completely on using a longer nail into the framing. I figure I want to get 1” into a stud, so 2” is only good for 1/2” thick material.

Since all of my applications for the 21 gauge would be wood to wood, I think it might work, but I guess there’s no way to know without trying it.

Based on the responses so far, I think I’m going to get a 21 gauge and see how it does. Then I’ll have every gauge if I need them, and I can always leave some at home if I’m sure I won’t need them that day

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
6,074 Posts
I've got a 21 gauge grex. definitely more holding power than 23 because of the headed nail. I use it a lot for temporary holding while glue sets. Works well for crown mold on cabinets without the big hole from an 18.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
15, 18, ,21,&23 here.

I need a new 18 any suggestions?

I love the feel of the grex 21 but I read some negative review for the 18. I have a Senco not working I don't think is worth fixing and a dinosaur Porter cable I don't trust.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
38,954 Posts
15, 18, ,21,&23 here.

I need a new 18 any suggestions?

I love the feel of the grex 21 but I read some negative review for the 18. I have a Senco not working I don't think is worth fixing and a dinosaur Porter cable I don't trust.

Been using my Hitachi for probably 15 years. Not one problem yet...until I go to use it the next time of course.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have two primary lumber yards I go in and out of one has all of the latest gadgets, tools and hardware. It's a full variety store the other is bigger and they ditched all of the hardware showroom stuff.
I slipped up today and wore the company tee shirt of the other store in their branch. Not a big deal but I'm first name basis with everyone for 30 yrs I feel like a dick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts