Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m working in a 60s home. I can’t seem to find any type of cross tees to fit this system. The tees don’t just go through the slot, it appears if they have a little tab that inserts and you bend it. I can’t find those kind of tees anywhere.
Anyone have any idea?
Brown Building Wood House Beam

Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender Tints and shades

·
Registered
Remodel
32,331 Posts
Sometimes the grid is in a smaller ceiling, like a closet or short hallway or utility room, and you can use components from there to make the repair and replace the donor ceiling.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Have you tried taking a standard usg cross t and bending the tab to see if that would work?

If you have to drop the existing and replace the mains, make life easier on yourself and drop that ceiling a little bit. I hate it when it's that tight

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replacing the whole grid is an option but the client wouldn’t be happy.
There is no donors available anywhere in this house.
I tried to use an Armstrong cross tee and bend the tab in but the tab is too wide.

Anyone know who made this old style grid? I’m sure there are some old parts available somewhere if only I knew who made it

·
Super Moderator
30,119 Posts
If you want to get ghetto you can buy Armstrong or a different brand of t and cut the tabs off and then use colored rivvets through the cross member to secure them

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
It’s going to look ugly with new tees but the same old Main… you are going to spend more time and money going through the hassle of making crap work then installing new material… sometimes the customer is wrong!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts