Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a camper shell for my pickup truck. I've never had one. I have learned that there are two ways to configure the front of a shell. With a sliding window, or, a rubber "boot" that seals up to the back of the cab and requires no window at all in the front of the shell.

Does the boot work well to keep out water? Or is the sliding window better. Also, I have no sliding back window on my pickup now, so I will have to have one installed. And lastly, what if there was no back window at all in the pickup? Just the rubber boot and the whole thing is open?

Thoughts or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have both windows. Worth it just for the noise factor, let alone the heat and a/c.

Reactions: Bodger

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,554 Posts
My last pickup had a sliding window in both the truck and shell. I used a donut and it worked fine. Looked a little stupid but it kept out the rain and elements.
The present truck has a sliding window but the cap has a pull down, hinged window. I have a shelf up front...so the window is virtually useless.
Having the shell open did allow for some heat and ac to get in the shell.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have an ARE Z series cap on my truck, 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, came on the truck when bought. There are a few things I would change about mine. My truck also does not have a sliding rear window, nor does the shell. The side windows vent, but do not open. If I had a choice, strictly for work purposes, I would get the hinged side windows, the sliding front window on the shell, and the sliding rear window on the truck. I would also get the boot between so if I was hauling something long, it wouldn't leak if it was raining.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,554 Posts
My cap has a hinged, flip up side window. The truck is a Ram 2500 4WD and the window is really too high for me to make use of it. On a standard pickup, I think it would be fine.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have had all 3 options, we had the boot installed instead of window and then a rear slider in back of truck, used it maybe 5 times....not worth it and the rubber boot gets dirt behind it and scratches the piss out of the paint on the truck. Plus if you have the back window open it is loud as hell! Every creak, bump and all road noise is transfered into cab because there is only sheet metal between tires ans truck bed.

Inflatible boot between both is best option, instead of boot, used a few times too.

My current truck has sliders on truck and topper, no inflatible boot and have had both open in rain. Just FYI not much water gets in between the topper and truck even while driving.

If you have the option, get the side windows that open up, both of my side windows on my current F350 long box and I use them ALL the time! Would never go without that option again. Makes loading and unloading much easier, would actually like to have gotten a tool box on the drivers side window as that was an option. Long one for shovels, hitches, straps and such would have been great.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Had it, just had the window, no boot. Didn't bother me much. The little window is sorta cool, but never used it for anything unless it was some 10 ft sections which I could pass through to the cab. For the small amount of material that I do use, roof mounting it worked out a whole lot better.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Yo Kev!!

I have the ARE Z series and it fits tight to cab. I got the flip down front window on cap so I can clean outside of truck rear window and outside of cap window. My truck rear window does not open like some do.

I also opted for no windows on side of cap, tinted rear window and I love it! I have a www.bedslide.com so I can access all my stuff from the rear. I really like the ARE Z cap matched paint to truck.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts