Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a pretty straight-forward 14x16 ground level deck with cedar decking. I had planned on face-screwing it all, but then thought about the Camo tool. I've never used it and wondered what you guys thought of it.

Don't know about other areas of the country but the quality of PT decking around here is crap. I would bet that 30% of the boards have to be flipped over, around, or cut up to avoid seeing or using the bad spots. A lot of the edges are missing. That's where I'm wondering if the Camo tool would still be worth trying. Can you still get a good bite into the wood if part of the bottom edge is missing?

I know I said this particular deck will be out of cedar and not PT, and I'm hoping the quality of cedar is better.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Have you done a thread search?

The Camo has been discussed a few times, fairly recently.

I would post a link, but I'm not that guy. I would have to skip dinner it would take me so long.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you done a thread search?

The Camo has been discussed a few times, fairly recently.

I would post a link, but I'm not that guy. I would have to skip dinner it would take me so long.:thumbsup:
I did do a quick search, and read parts of a couple threads. But they didn't seem to go in the direction that would answer my question about the poor quality of lumber.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
As long as the edge isn't extremely phucked right at the joist, it should work just fine.

I have had good results with the Camo, but I haven't tried the Tiger Claw, so I can't compare.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
The screw enters the wood about 5/16" below the face so you can only suffer probably an eighth of missing edge.

This is just an assumption. I don't know if I would bother with it using crappy PT material, but it'll work just fine IMO.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Very very slow, try tiger claw hidden fasteners.
I don't do a lot of decks, but me and my guys can put it down pretty quick with the Camo.

Wondering how it is faster to rout or biscuit join slots at every joist point? Then you still have the screws, albeit half what you would drive with the Camo.

We found that using multiple Camo tools speeds it up a good bit. 2 per man.

With the crap PT, I would worry about losing time getting your gaps tight and consistent.

The Camo will move a plank a bit with it's toe action.....but not that much.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I don't do a lot of decks, but me and my guys can put it down pretty quick with the Camo.

Wondering how it is faster to rout or biscuit join slots at every joist point? Then you still have the screws, albeit half what you would drive with the Camo.

We found that using multiple Camo tools speeds it up a good bit. 2 per man.

With the crap PT, I would worry about losing time getting your gaps tight and consistent.

The Camo will move a plank a bit with it's toe action.....but not that much.
You lost me at rout and biscuit joint....

We have 4 guys, cut guy, hammer guy, screw guy, and a laborer just helping where ever.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MUN0zm239CM

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
You lost me at rout and biscuit joint....

We have 4 guys, cut guy, hammer guy, screw guy, and a laborer just helping where ever.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MUN0zm239CM
Whoa. That looks fast. Glad I asked.

I had just watched a YouTube vid on the Tiger Claw, must've been a different style clip.

One of their reps PM'ed me and offered a sample a while back. I will have to give them a try.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Camo is slow. It's not as slow as Ebty with a biscuit joiner or router but I'll never use those again either.

The perk of Camo with something that's going to expand and contract a lot is that you're getting two screws in at each joist vs. one screw and a "claw" that could potentially pull out with enough shrinkage and movement.

For cedar I don't see why you don't just face screw it. It's fast, has the best hold-down and can look pretty good with the right screws. I think of hidden fastener as appropriate for composite or hardwood.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Camo is slow. It's not as slow as Ebty with a biscuit joiner or router but I'll never use those again either.

The perk of Camo with something that's going to expand and contract a lot is that you're getting two screws in at each joist vs. one screw and a "claw" that could potentially pull out with enough shrinkage and movement.

For cedar I don't see why you don't just face screw it. It's fast, has the best hold-down and can look pretty good with the right screws. I think of hidden fastener as appropriate for composite or hardwood.
Ballistic screws....even faster.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Are those the ones that go in a nail gun?
Oh yea! And out with a screwgun. Or a screwdriver if you are a masochist.

But from what I'm hearing, I must be using the "screwdriver" of decking systems.

Seems pretty darn quick to me, that Camo. And solid. And clean.....squeaky clean spacing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts