Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to trench power out to the road about 1200' and would like to drop a wire in for a camera.

What type of wire? Cat5?

Haven't done any research as to what system I'll be buying. Probably something that I can turn from the house.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I plan to trench power out to the road about 1200' and would like to drop a wire in for a camera.

What type of wire? Cat5?

Haven't done any research as to what system I'll be buying. Probably something that I can turn from the house.
Cat5e won't work that distance, you can either run fiber or use a wireless bridge if you have a decent line of sight.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Cat5e won't work that distance, you can either run fiber or use a wireless bridge if you have a decent line of sight.
Well I'm curious - are there no older wiring technologies that would work? Coax? Seems to me I remember these old camera cables that had coax plus a couple other conductors (power?).

Maybe fiber optic is cheap these days and it's not worth considering other cabling...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well I'm curious - are there no older wiring technologies that would work? Coax? Seems to me I remember these old camera cables that had coax plus a couple other conductors (power?).

Maybe fiber optic is cheap these days and it's not worth considering other cabling...
Not for an IP camera, you can run analog about 1000 feet over cat5e.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What about the baluns?

Whats the cost of an analog set-up with baluns vs Ip with fiber?
The problem with a 1200 foot run is you have to special order a bulk spool of wire longer than 1200 feet and it's really expensive after shipping...or have an accessible splice point.

Analog is cheaper, but the cheapest is a wireless bridge.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There are a number of Ethernet over twisted pair extenders that will bridge thousands of feet, but don't expect great speeds...and budget for buying a bulk 5500 foot spool of wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Normal Cat5e is not approved for Direct Burial. And without knowing what type of camera somebody is going to install. There are 110V cameras, 24VAC Cameras, POE Power Over Ethernet cameras, 12VDC Cameras, and Moveable Dome cameras and Enclosures that have Heat/Air Coolers and Wipers.

Also be sure to follow the NEC or your local code for appropriate separation between High-voltage and low voltage.

One option would be to prepare for a Wireless (WiFi) camera then just prepare for 24 Hour Power.

ESTSME

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cost and functionality wise, Direct Burial fiberoptic cable is the best option. No Electrical Interfence, Direct Lighting risk (Most Cases) as long as the pole has 24 hour power. (NOT ON A TIMER)

ESTSME

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.