Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously Symon Forms and others alike are more profitable and productive, what im wondering is, why do I see contractors hiring "fly-by-nite" concrete outfits that use plywood and cam-locks so often? That system is out-dated and takes weeks, and that is with at least 4-5 experienced men working everyday. I use Dura-Forms and I can set AND pour 250-300 ft. of 8-10 ft. wall in a SINGLE day. The problem in my area is that no one uses symon forms and they are afraid of taking the chance on a new system, new to them anyway. So, I need some advice on how to get the word out to these narrow-minded contractors and start making them, and myself, some money. I want to kick these two-bit concrete guys out the door!

Thanks,
Harvey Park

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Liberte!
Egalite!
Fraternite!
To the barricades!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you tell them that they are narrow-minded and two-bit concrete guys. You should also tell them that they are hacks..

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Assuming what you say is true, you would be very busy at the expense of your competition. That would change the equation in short order. The very fact that you are complaining indicates that your charge is somewhat less than accurate.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So, I need some advice on how to get the word out to these narrow-minded contractors and start making them, and myself, some money. I want to kick these two-bit concrete guys out the door!
Maby I read that wrong.....your looking for business advice on how to inform "fly by night 2-bit contractors" that they should be using Symons Forms?

So....Are you an advertising or sales agent for Symons? Or are you just so discusted that all these other contractors are wasting weeks worth of work messing around with old ways of forming and your out to change the world and help out your competition?

Either way this is my suggestion:

- First you need a cape, if you plan on being taken seriously all superheroes need a cape...The name Captain Concete is pretty good but Spell it with a K to give yourself some originality... you need to form name for your alliance...maby "Symons Unites Concrete Kaptains Against Surreptitious Slimeballs". Or maby just the acronym.:shifty:

Now lead the people to a better civilization!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's cute, and you are right, you're not a good reader. I just want to get some use out of these forms... needed some insight... you didn't help at all but i did get a good laugh out of you. Thanks.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
you're not a good reader.
Nope, poor writer too...and I'm told i'm a crappy ballroom dancer too...

To be honest I really don't understand by your post what you are trying to accomplish? Care to fill me in?

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you can do it so much faster, it should be so much cheaper, due to lower labor cost and as a sub Track home builders always love a low price. People are not going to pay you more for the same finish product just because you have expensive forms.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I would like for you to clarify your intentions here as well.

What is it you are looking for with this thread?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the problem is that I have the forms and the manpower to do these basements much faster and considerably cheaper, but the local contractors are so dedicated to certain subs that they won't give us a shot. I've given references, showed pictures of past jobs and have even offered to do "materials and labor only" jobs to a few or them. Just so they can get an idea of how fast we are. But still haven't had any luck. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how i can convince these contractors into hiring me. And I'm confident if they try us out once, they'll be calling back sooner than later. Sorry everyone for the confusion.

Thanks,
Harvey D. Park

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
They can be crazy fast if you have a few guys that know what they are doing. I was in on a basement once that was for a 3000 sq ft house, with a 1500 sq ft garage. the footings on the first day, second day we set and poured the entire foundation. We were stripping the next day. There were some guys using gates next door to us and were like wtf? the had been there for 4 days and hadn't even closed in the forms yet. Oh and the quality? everything within an 1/8"! You just gotta keep hammering them. Good luck! Also, do you have a boom truck with some A frame racks? We didn't but if you do its saves hours of hucking forms to the hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts