Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I posted this question under a different title but my topic didn't get much attention, so I decided to change the title. Thank you to the people that did respond.

Just built an outdoor kitchen and bought some pre-fab chinese granite. Install is this Monday. The company never answers their phone and message machine is full, so I can't get an answer to my question.

Does this pre-fab granite use an epoxy at the bullnose that can be exposed to the outdoors?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,
Got to the bottom of a few things today. I went to the Chinese Granite shop and they freely admitted that the factory bullnose will fall off in outdoor weather. If there was a covered patio over it, I would be better off. They said if it was within the year of install, they would warranty, but anything after would be on me. Additionally, the guy said it may last up to 5 years or it could last 1 month before seam fails.

I went to a custom shop and they told me the same thing. They added that they do not laminate bullnose on an outdoor island and like to use 3cm granite so they can use the full thickness to form the bullnose. No failure if it's 1 piece.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You lost me at, "bought some pre-fab chinese granite". Those pre-fabs are good for some projects, but not outdoor kitchens. The epoxy used by most shops (both in the US and abroad) use epoxies that degrade quickly with UV exposure. There are UV-stable epoxies, but they are much more expensive, so they aren't even readily available.

I would recommend using 100% silicone for any outdoor kitchen seams. The silicone will flex and allow for thermal expansion of the surfaces. Any hard (epoxy) seam will get brittle and fail in outside applications - it's just a matter of time. Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You lost me at, "bought some pre-fab chinese granite". Those pre-fabs are good for some projects, but not outdoor kitchens. The epoxy used by most shops (both in the US and abroad) use epoxies that degrade quickly with UV exposure. There are UV-stable epoxies, but they are much more expensive, so they aren't even readily available.

I would recommend using 100% silicone for any outdoor kitchen seams. The silicone will flex and allow for thermal expansion of the surfaces. Any hard (epoxy) seam will get brittle and fail in outside applications - it's just a matter of time. Good luck!

Hi Granite Shop,
Thanks for the feedback. We decided to go with Lagos Blue Limestone. The guy will be out tomorrow to do a template.

Are you saying to use silicone "as in 100% silicone out of a tube" to do the bullnose or just the seams at the top?

Thanks ,
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts