Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been in business long enough you have had a callback or 2, if you haven't your lying or better than me haha
I was wondering how you guys deal with them personally. I take it personal and dread calling them back.
Most of the time its not that big of a deal but man it really bothers me.
Was curious in how you guys deal with it, maybe I can learn something
appreciate it.
Pains in the chest are getting old!:sad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I very rarely get callbacks because I'm very pedantic about the work I do, taking care about details and finishing. BUT it does occasionally happen and you have to be straight onto it. Call back as soon as possible and reassure the client that its not a problem at all to go back and check something out. Don't leave it till later.
When I finish a job I make a point of telling the client to call me if there is ANYTHING they're not sure about or if they're worried about something not being quite right. I actually find that most people are very reluctant to call me back and feel bad about doing so.
If you've done the job right most problems are going to be very minor fixes.
Having said that, getting a voice mail saying there's water coming through the ceiling is always a real bummer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Like said above.

My worst callback was when I was installing storm doors as a sub to a manufacturer. One woman called the boss three different times and each time I went back to her house. The job was a good hour drive each way so it was a PITA. Each time there was nothing wrong. She was an older Italian woman that barely spoke English. She liked that I tried to talk to her while I was working and wanted company.
Bill T

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Last one I had was water throught he ceiling.These always suck.Lucky it wa the garage.Tore off the old attached garage,Built a new one with new footing and slab.Put a new roof and siding on the whole house.Some new windows and doors.A good job for me and excellent cutomer.He was in the country and had a 12" stove pipe going thru the new metal roof for a backup furnace.It was a 1/2" metal ribbed roof.I bought a $85 boot for it cut it perfect,put mastic on and then silicone it good.Screwed the hell out of it.Called as soon as I got the voice mail,grabbedd one of my guys and went out.The customer forgot to tell me on the voice mail that he had another guy come out when we finished and put some new support brackets on the stack cocking(not caulking) the hell out of it and ruining the joint.Fixed and moved on.Never charged him a dime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do not get many callbacks but in the roofing business and the volume of jobs you do your bound to get a few.
Most times its the chimney or the old skylite has failed but I take it personal.
You would think after 20 years in business I would get better at that end of it

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sky
I know what you mean about taking it personally. And no if you are like me, it never changes. I've been in business over 40 years and if someone calls my first thought is always - What did I do wrong. Fortunately it is rarely anything I did and I always feel better after correcting whatever the situation was. I always tell people there are never problems. Just situations that need to be dealt with from time to time.
Bill T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sky
I know what you mean about taking it personally. And no if you are like me, it never changes. I've been in business over 40 years and if someone calls my first thought is always - What did I do wrong. Fortunately it is rarely anything I did and I always feel better after correcting whatever the situation was. I always tell people there are never problems. Just situations that need to be dealt with from time to time.
Bill T
Thanks Bill,
I agree with you, I allways call back right away and take care of any issue that we created but it does suck sometimes.
Guess its part of the business that will never go away

·
Kowboy
2,471 Posts
I got a callback one time where the customer insisted that his range wouldn't fit into the cabinets and countertop opening I had just made. I went out, leveled the feet on the stove, and it slid right in.

He felt foolish trying to insert a parallelogram into a square, and I couldn't charge him.

Sometimes you get callbacks that aren't even yours, so best not to panic until you confirm they are.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
A guy keeps calling me saying his roof leaks when its clearly his bathroom right above. Not sure how a roof could leak on the first floor but not the second

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I respond lightning quick abd fix it...with electronics call backs happen often.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I do try my damnedest to not get any, but they do sometimes happen. it becomes my top priority and it usually ends on a high note and sometimes more work. Had one customer tell me after wards that the fact that I came out right away with a positive attitude made me her guy for life. I believe MOST HO's understand that sometimes chit happens.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,222 Posts
Yeah, callbacks get top priority.

The ulcer-makers though, are when you get a call just a day or two after you finished the job--and they're calling about something completely different. Mood swings are hell. :laughing:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had one of those new roof calls. The first rainy day after I completed a new roof the phone rang and the very upset customer told me that the roof was leaking. I could not understand how this could happen and, with stomach churning, I dropped everything to go to her house. When I did get there I did see the water coming into the upstairs master bedroom. I looked at Gloria and said - Gloria you need to close the skylight when it is raining. It never leaked again.
Bill T

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I don't like callbacks any better than anyone else, but I sure as hell don't ignore them. Like others, they get top priority. We all make mistakes, what seperates the professionals from the hacks, is how we deal with the problems when they arise.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Callbacks are the chance to set yourself above your competition. Don't go trying to create "opportunities", but don't dread them either!

However, a chimney or a skylight flashing issue should be addressed when getting a re-roof, correct? At least verbally brought to their attention? And the HO declines to do the repair/replacement when it should be done? That might be a chance to print them a picture of the issue and have them sign a waiver that you aren't going to be responsible when it inevitably starts to have problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts