Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a resanding and varnishing 18 months ago, and the owner was very happy with the floor, I just received an email complaining about the white strip which appear on the floor. I put a polyuréthane varnish water base in 3 coats. could anybody help please.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q530/jmsign/photo4.jpg

french oak

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
im assuming your saying it wasn't like that 18 months ago when finished?

the only time i Have seen waterbase turn white is during apllication on high humidity situations.

now we should know if there a sealer used as a base coat?

a conversion varnish?
shellac?
Lacquer?

was the floor waxed after the fact?
these are all situations I can see white developing.

Last would be bleaching if the coat through sunlight..and in this particular grain pattern it accented a light portion of the board.

the finish appears to be intact and the marking isolated..

all hypothetical of course

·
Registered
810 Posts
It looks to me like that weird thing that sometimes happens to Jatoba where this white crap comes out of the vessels long after the finishing process is through. I don't know anything about French Oak, but I know with Jatoba, it's not considered a defect because there is no way to grade for it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It kinda looks like a dead board to me, though. The scientific term is incipient decay. Thing is, that shows up right off the bat. Not later.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm confused,
If it is re-sanded, why are there huge "micro" bevels on the board edges.
Very light sanding?
With so much darkness in the seams, it looks like they wet mop the floors. One more vote for water damage.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,898 Posts
If that particular board was more porous then the surrounding boards then the finish might of had holes/gaps/opens in it. The water can get in there and lift the finish from underneath.

Strip the one board and refinish it.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That is a spalted board---the spalting is softer than the surrounding wood and absorbs moisture faster than good boards.

Water born finishes are more brittle than the old oil finishes--so the finish broke bond---

Woodworkers frequently 'petrify' the punky wood with CA glue before finishing--

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
That is a spalted board---the spalting is softer than the surrounding wood and absorbs moisture faster than good boards.

Water born finishes are more brittle than the old oil finishes--so the finish broke bond---

Woodworkers frequently 'petrify' the punky wood with CA glue before finishing--
Thanks for the lesson Mike! I did a google search on spalted wood. I always wondered what caused those black lines in some pieces of wood. Turns out they are "zone lines" and are caused by fungus in "spalted" wood.

Learned something new. :thumbup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it worth to resand the board and revarnish it. Thanks a lot for the responds, still learning.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sure it is---scrape or sand off the finish---then saturate the soft areas with CA glue--(super glue) --when it's hardened,apply your finish---

You need to petrify that soft punky section so it is as hard as the good wood.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
For a real lesson about splated wood--go to 'woodworking Talk' and browse through the 'forestry and milling' section----

To all of you wood lovers---track down small local mills---not only will you find great prices but you will find odd ball goods like spalted ,burls and unusual live edge goods.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts