Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Holy smokes... That is quite the picture... Where in the US is that? Indiana?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,054 Posts
811!
Farmer with an auger attachment.
Cross country natural gas pipeline.
Never found farmer or tractor.

Untrue. Explosion was due to failed/corroded pipeline. Please don't just repeat what someone sends you in an email as gospel.

It occured Sept. 14, 2008 in Appomattox, VA.

Snopes.

Reactions: neolitic

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Untrue. Explosion was due to failed/corroded pipeline. Please don't just repeat what someone sends you in an email as gospel.

Snopes.
Never trust a friend. :no:

·
Registered
122 Posts

Snopes.

I was gonna put in a link to snopes, but you must have added one while I was quoting you.

Still important to call before you dig.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,054 Posts
It does explain why no one ever
found a farmer or a tractor! :laughing:

Or the horse and buggy. Or the aircraft carrier. Or that $34,000,000 in cash I was burying in the field.....:whistling

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My area has the Alaska Digline website where you register as a contractor then fill out the form online to order locates...pretty handy!

·
Contractor
7,726 Posts
I remember that blow up, not too far from here.

But regardless of where it occurred, or why, a reminder to make the call is always on target. :thumbsup:

An associate of mine decided to help a guy out with some drain problems a few years ago. He pulled up a cable the size of your arm :eek: started looking around the edge of the field he was digging in and found the sign for an intercontinental phone company.

He called the number on the sign and they sent a guy out right away, turned out to be an abandoned cable... had he dug a few feet in a different direction he would have hit the new fiber optic line $$$$. It would have bankrupted him for sure.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yah there had to have been a leak underground for awhile......

I like to piss off locators by painting where im going to be and making them actualy locate in that area instead of the 12 foot leeway they like to do 200 ft away from where I need locates. i have actualy made bets with some of the good guys on depth and inches from their mark........I'll by a lunch anyday for that info

Ive cut alot of cables in my life and i dont care but I dont wanna cut no gas line

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does every state have the same type of call in program? In Missouri you call dig-rite 48hrs or more before you dig, and they mark it for you. No cost, no registering with them, anyone can call. And if they say nothing's there, you aren't liable for any damage(at least to the utility lines, you still have liability for the irrigation and water drainage lines you might hit).

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Pennsylvania it's PA ONECALL. They'll locate everyting except video cable. The cable company sends their own guy out from the same call. As far as the OP's pictures, the gas company had run a line test just prior to the explosion and said that the line was good. Guess their test procedures needed some rework.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,054 Posts
In Iowa, all public utilies are required to belong to Iowa One Call. You call the 800 number (or 811) and you get a locate done withing 72 hours. You then have 48 hours to begin digging.

But they only locate public utility lines. Private lines must be located at the expense of the owner/builder.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Iowa, all public utilies are required to belong to Iowa One Call. You call the 800 number (or 811) and you get a locate done withing 72 hours. You then have 48 hours to begin digging.

But they only locate public utility lines. Private lines must be located at the expense of the owner/builder.
If you schmooze the guy up,
he will often find well lines and the like.
Or so I hear.

·
ampman
783 Posts
in florida we call 811 48 hrs before we dig its free so you would be dumb not to call

·
Registered
180 Posts
Free in CT too. Takes about 48 hrs. The last job I did, they were accurate to within 6 inches of where the electric service was.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,054 Posts
If you schmooze the guy up,
he will often find well lines and the like.
Or so I hear.
You never know when the locators going to show up. So unless you want to camp out at the site for 3 days straight.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts