Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
I was listening to the news and heard that. calafornia is giving out IOUs for peoples state tax return. So was just wondering how our calafornian borthers were holding up?

·
Banned
669 Posts
I don't get money back from the Government. But if I was counting on the money it would suck! I'd like to total recall Ahrnold for letting things get this bad, and I wish I could gather all the state paid union workers into one person so I could kick him in the nuts!

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
The IOU's will be for suppliers to the state only, not tax returns, that could be next month.

It's going to be less than 4 billion this month in IOU's

The latest talk was that some banks are paying back the stimulous money faster than expected, so the feds may shift/transfer it to California...and 7 other states that are in bad shape as well.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
"All other general fund payments will be paid with IOUs. These include payments to local governments for social services, private contractors, state vendors, income and corporate tax refunds, and payments for State operations including legislative per diem."
http://www.sco.ca.gov/eo_pressrel_5940.html

The state legislature is a joke and Arnold is worthless(for all those people who don't live here). Arnold was elected to not allow the legislature to pass these budgets year after year that rely on huge amounts of borrowing and tax increases. Yet, Arnold has been a HUGE failure, pretty much bending over to the democrats who have controlled the legislature for decades. The state just passed a $16 Billion tax increase a couple months ago and now their only solution to fix their overspending year after year is to raise more taxes. They don't seem to get it. CA is already the highest taxed state in the nation. The middle class and small business is moving out. The only people that are going to be remaining are the illegals and the rich.

The democrats who control the legislature know the law and that they need a 2/3 vote to pass a tax increase. They knew they wouldn't get it, yet the passed a budget with a simple majority vote basically violating the law. They also knew ahead of time that the governor would veto the budget, yet they wasted everyone's time and broke the law with their simple majority vote. They have one option and that is to live with their means and not spend more money than they have, but the problem is to do that they have to screw the unions that got them elected. That is why they will not cut spending, the budget has yet to be passed, and now people are getting IOU's.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,508 Posts
If I was out there and they gave me an IOU for my work as a vendor I would promptly show up and give them an IOU for work. See ya.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
This is a ploy tactic, if you supply to the state and quit over IOU's, it will be your loss, someone else will take the contract. The government always pays there bills, even when broke. This is a polical move to get money in from other sources.

The government cannot go broke here, banks and auto companies were bailed out, they are not going to allow a state to go bankrupt

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,508 Posts
They hell if I'm gonna offer my tax dollars to bail California out. At least the banks have a use. All California produces is new ultra stupid laws that end up being unfunded mandates for the rest of the country.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I have lived in enough areas of the country to understand why so many people have strong opinions about California. No need for me to list them as there are plenty of guys willing to do that.

As far as the IOU's go, the only reason we have them now is we are one of the states that require a 2/3rds majority vote to get a budget passed.

Not so hard to do when there is plenty of money to go around but when you are trying to close a 20 something billion dollar gap the stupid politicians can't get near a 2/3rd consensus to save their ass.

The IOU's will be taken by the banks as a check until the 10th of this month. They are employing their own pressure tactics to the boneheads in Sacramento by placing the date.

The state treasurer is saying that the rest of them will be made good by October 1st.

It is a screwed up situation here as it is in many other states, especially the ones that still require that 2/3rd majority vote.

As far as how jacked up this state looks to the rest of the counrty, I wish those critics could understand a few things.

It takes a liberal free thinker to pull up roots and move across the continent in hopes of a good life. That is how this state came to be, to some degree.

And it's the liberal majority that has been fighting to keep it beautiful. That is why we have tougher emission controls on cars, and a different recipe for our gas. And all the other crazy ass sounding laws that drive the rest of the conservatives in the east crazy. I'm sure not all of them have worked out as good as the intentions in which they were founded.

In a nut shell we have a lot of everything here. More natural beauty then one could imagine. More money than any other state. More resources than anyone else.

And we have a lot of the bad stuff too. You can fill in those blanks.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,508 Posts
I'm staying out of this one:shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup:
I think this thread is going to tun into a fun time :blink:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,508 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You boys should stick up for your home state, or you should pack your crap in your truck and go some place else.

I grew up in Poughkeepsie NY and am still fond of all the north east has to offer. Mostly in the summer though.:laughing: It is so very beautiful there and I love all the deep history that only the east coast has.

I'm not ragging on any other location at all. I'm offering a perspective that may bring about a kinder opinion of this place. Thats all.

If you are committed to your opinion, keep it and shout it from a mountain top.

Oh wait they aren't very tall up in that corner. Oh well you can come out west and let rip from a really tall one. Us liberals don't mind.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,508 Posts
Can't rag on your Governor (yet). The last one we had in CT ended up in the pokie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts