Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 3000 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, I have college credits for Business Admin but no degree... I do have two years of experience with w2's working for a large excavating company building roads; but I'm not sure that will work for a c-32

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, I have some college credits for business admin but no degree. I do have two years of experience with W2's building roads for a large excavating company but I'm not sure that will qualify for a C-32

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, I have some college credits for business admin but no degree... I do have two years of experience building roads for a large excavating company in Wisconsin, but I dont think that will qualify for a C-32

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Phil,

just checked my status online. says Application rejected "experience documentation required."

What would they ask for? I called them and they told me they are sending a letter to me with detailed information. I applied as self employed. have 4 year business degree and 10 years part time experience with a client (family member) that signed the verification page. For sure I have no 1099s or pay stubs or anything as i didnt get paid for the work we did. On jobs I subbed out and supervised I do have the invoices from the subs. i dont even know if that is acceptable or if they will even ask me for those. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Rejection

License Guru,
I received my rejection letter today for General Contractor B. It had two reasons. First was that the trade description was not descriptive enough. It listed supervision of all trades and listed each of them. Referred to supervising turnkey projects from inception to final occupancy. It was long enough that another page was attached for another paragraph.

The second reason was that the person who certifies me has to have direct knowledge of my work and that they must fill out all section completely and that the certifier must be the qualifying person on the license of the company i work for. It is a fellow employee which it says you can use. He is the one who trained me and has worked along side me for over 6 years. He checked the box fellow employee and foreman or supervisor. He is the manager of all superintendents. I dont get it. I cant ask the owner to certify me. He would most likely fire me or make my life hell if he knew I was applying for a license. Why would it say right on the instruction that clients or employees may certify you if now they are saying they cant. Or will they back down as soon as I call them on it.

Any advice before I call them would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,329
That's an excellent question, and one that has been asked of the board directly. Why they've decided to discount certain certifiers when the application gives you the option of contractor, fellow employee, client, etc is unknown.

I don't believe they could legal tell you the certifier HAS to be the qualifier of the license of the employer you work for. The certifier is signing under the penalty of perjury.

I also don't believe they have the right to put peoples jobs in jeopardy, so I'd insist they accept the certifier as submitted.

For the work experience outline, they've decided that submitting supervisory experience alone is no longer acceptable. They also want to see hands on experience. So it just depends on how you word the experience outline. You would say something like, my experience includes hands on and supervisory work including the following....

I can give you some samples of experience that is acceptable. Send me an email I'll I share them with you.

I suggest you also contact the licensing chief and assistant chief regarding the certifier issue and putting your job in jeopardy.

[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Several years ago the CSLB realized that they had to accept all experience, not just what was obtained as an employee. You are allowed to show experience as "self employed." They know you were most likely doing jobs over the $500 limit but would rather you be licensed than not.

The trick is to NOT show your experience "per job" but rather as a whole.
How do you show experience per job without a dollar amount attached? Thanks this is very helpful, they make it such a gray area!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,331
I was referring to how you outline the experience on the app. You have to show an overview as opposed to a per job description.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,332
Hello all.... if you have California specific questions, please post them in this thread. That way I'll get instant notification and can reply asap.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Phil, so to update,

after submitting my experience documentation, i check status and it says corrections sent to be scanned And app sent to license deputy.

What's the meaning of this. Thx

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,334
Corrections sent to be scanned... SOP.... app sent to license deputy? Also SOP, as of late, but it's not a good thing. They're reviewing your experience.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,336
Sorry. Since the cslb began it's new review process, very few applicants have been approved and sent to testing. Your experience has to be dang near air tight and backed up by verification documents. All the ducks must be in a row with their i's dotted and t's crossed.

Are you applying for the B or a C class?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry. Since the cslb began it's new review process, very few applicants have been approved and sent to testing. Your experience has to be dang near air tight and backed up by verification documents. All the ducks must be in a row with their i's dotted and t's crossed.

Are you applying for the B or a C class?
Im applying for B license. i sent them a 4 year college degree transcripts and contracts (at least 20-25 contracts) for all the work i completed within the last 4 years, this includes framing and several other trades along with receipts for some of the projects (others were missing or lost ). In addition i also sent another work experience certification form detailing work i did for him and signed by him. I also had clients sign and complete letters saying that work was performed by me, etc.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,338
That's all great stuff! I can't guesstimate how the cslb will respond, but compared to others I've spoken with in the past few months, you're way ahead of the curve. They only need to give/award you with 2 yrs of experience, so I think the odds are good you'll get a test date.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's all great stuff! I can't guesstimate how the cslb will respond, but compared to others I've spoken with in the past few months, you're way ahead of the curve. They only need to give/award you with 2 yrs of experience, so I think the odds are good you'll get a test date.
yea i know. thanks for the uplifting comments. i will certainly update progress here. hopefully i can get a test date. cant wait to buy my materials.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello License Guru

Hello License Guru,

I am trying to obtain a C20 and a C10 license through two RMOs. The application is being delayed due to the C10 RMO's background check. It has been 5 weeks now. Since you have worked at CSLB, do you know how long the background process can take? I think he has a record on his file but I didn't think it would take five weeks. Mine took two days.

Anyway, here is the status:

07/17/2013 APPLICATION RECEIVED
07/22/2013 PRINTED ACKNLDGMNT LTTR TO APPLCNT
08/08/2013 SPECIAL PROJECT - 7065 WAIVER
08/08/2013 APPLICATION REJECTED FOR CORRECTION
08/08/2013 NEED CHRISTOPHER'S CORRECT DOB
08/16/2013 ADD'L REJECT TO APPLICNT TO CORRECT
08/16/2013 MIKE YASI'S LEGAL NAME DIFFERS FROM
08/26/2013 APPLICATION POSTED
08/26/2013 WAIVER BOND AND FEE LETTER SENT
08/26/2013 NEED THE INITIAL LICENSE FEE
08/26/2013 NEED CONTRACTORS BOND
08/26/2013 NEED WORKERS COMP CERT OR EXEMPTION
08/26/2013 FINGERPRINTS NEEDED - LETTER SENT
08/27/2013 PRINTED LIVE SCAN PACKET
09/24/2013 APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
09/25/2013 APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-FBI
09/26/2013 APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
10/07/2013 UNDER REVIEW

If I were to cancel the C10 part of the application, would they require me to fill out all of the applications over again?

Please advise.

Thank you.

1321 - 1340 of 3000 Posts