Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
3201 - 3220 of 3230 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Aaron,

Are you providing B experience that was obtained as an employee of a B contractor? Or is it self-employed experience? If it's the latter, you'll have a very difficult time qualifying.

They don't care what the "two unlreated trades" are, but you have to provide structural framing experience.

The veteran expediting is only for those vets applying for a sole owner license. It cuts the initial review process from 6-8 weeks down to 1-2 weeks.
Yes, I was an employee of both B contractors and have structural framing experience. I will be applying for the sole owner license. Are you still offering a free application review for forum members? would love to get your insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Phil,
Thank you very much offering great advices and tips here! My question is: does passing the exams mean automatic new license? The letter seems to suggest that CSLB can still request for more supporting information on your experience before they issue a license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info Phil, I guess I will just have to wait and see. A related question: how do I know Live Scan was submitted and processed by the place who did it, is the app page supposed to show it was done and approved?

Out of curiosity, what would be the percentage of licenses obtained thru exams vs waiver? can you venture to guess, if there is no published data?

Regarding getting credit for college/grad degrees during the app, how do I know if the transcripts were accepted and how many months of credit was granted? the app status page doesn't tell you what CSLB has done with your credit request or transcripts, not even whether the transcripts arrived.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,206 ·
You won't see anything on the cslb website regarding prints unless the reporting agency's have a delay.

Licensing stats can be found here. You'll need to select the CSLB after drilling down a couple selections. DCA Data and Reports: Annual licensing statistics

Transcripts, just like prints, they will not post any comments about how much credit they'll give you. You'd only get feedback if they gave you zero credit (zero never happens with a four year degree) and you're short of the 48 month requirement because of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a lot Phil, very helpful info! As a newbie, I am learning some contracting rules here but still confused about some details. When it comes to subcontracting can a C subcontracting to another C of a different specialty? If so, do the two Cs have to be somewhat related? and is there a percentage above which such subcontracting is not allowed?

Thanks again for providing great info!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,208 ·
A C could not sub a different C trade to someone else because you can only contract for the C trade you hold. IOW, you can't contract for concrete if you have a flooring license and then submit out the concrete work.

The prime contactor can sub out all or part of their contract to other licensed contractors. If you have the C-8, you could do the work or sub it out to another C-8.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info! How about C-10 sub out to the low voltage portion of the job to C-7? And in general if a C contractor, say flooring, accepts a job that may involve another trade, say drywall, but he doesn't even know in advance if he needs another trade let alone by how much, are you saying that he couldn't have the job because he would be stuck if he needs another trade or not getting a GB involved half way thru?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Applying for the B-2

Another question for you Guru...I have an AA in an unrelated field. In your experience what chances do you think I have of getting the full 6 months credit for that degree?

//edit: one more question... I was just reading a comment on your website regarding how the CSLB interprets years of experience...the poster on your site said the CSLB denied them 2 years of experience because they didn't make enough money the first 2 years. This concerns me because I don't make a lot of money as a handyman in California who is restricted by the $500 cap. Do you know what the magic number is?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,211 ·
Applying for the B-2

Another question for you Guru...I have an AA in an unrelated field. In your experience what chances do you think I have of getting the full 6 months credit for that degree?

//edit: one more question... I was just reading a comment on your website regarding how the CSLB interprets years of experience...the poster on your site said the CSLB denied them 2 years of experience because they didn't make enough money the first 2 years. This concerns me because I don't make a lot of money as a handyman in California who is restricted by the $500 cap. Do you know what the magic number is?
Sorry for the late reply. They would not give you any college credit for an AA in an unrelated field. You would/could only get 18 month credit for a four year degree in any unrelated field.

Everyone applying for the B-2 is submitting self-employed experience and the cslb is accepting it. I have yet to hear of a B-2 applicant being asked to provide proof of their experience. If they did, it would kind of negate the whole purchase of the new class, which is to get handymen licensed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. They would not give you any college credit for an AA in an unrelated field. You would/could only get 18 month credit for a four year degree in any unrelated field.

Everyone applying for the B-2 is submitting self-employed experience and the cslb is accepting it. I have yet to hear of a B-2 applicant being asked to provide proof of their experience. If they did, it would kind of negate the whole purchase of the new class, which is to get handymen licensed.
No problem. Thanks for the info, I look forward to purchasing your classes, I just need to get my timing right. Not to beat a dead horse regarding the college degree. If you have a moment have a look at this CSLB workshop where the presenter says an AA in art can get you 6 months credit. CSLB Workshop Link

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,213 ·
I've reached out to the cslb licensing manager who was speaking in that seminar to ask him for clarification. I've been in this industry, including working at the cslb, for 20 years and the only time an AA degree would be given ANY credit is when the AA degree is for construction management. I'll let you know if this fairly new licensing manager has changed the college credit guidelines.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,214 ·
No problem. Thanks for the info, I look forward to purchasing your classes, I just need to get my timing right. Not to beat a dead horse regarding the college degree. If you have a moment have a look at this CSLB workshop where the presenter says an AA in art can get you 6 months credit. CSLB Workshop Link
Learn something new everyday I guess. He confirmed that you can get six months college credit for a AA degree of any type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi License Guru!

Thanks for your help when I was setting up my C-10 corporation last year --- all's going well, we're building a client base! Now I'm looking to add the B license classification, and my RMO has agreed to try to add the classification under his name, since he has 10+ experience doing various other trades part time as part of his previous sole proprietership (he only holds a C-10 at present).

I have a couple questions about the form. These are probably answered earlier in the thread (which I read fully about 6 months ago), but I can't find them now, and perhaps the CSLB's current practices have changed anyway.

Since his experience was for his sole proprietership, does that mean he was "self employed," or should I put down his sole proprietership's business name (which was just his name) and license number? I plan to indicate part time 10 years = 5 years full-time equivalent. He's worked with a B-1 holder for 10+ years who will certify his experience.

The certifier has employed my RMO as a sub. For his business relationship, should he say "contractor," or "business associate"?

Lastly, the certifier has asked us for a written description of the RMO's experience, so I'd like to hand him something that will look good by the CSLB standards, since he might just copy our wording. I was going to write something like:

FRAMING (walls, joists, subfloors, rafters/purlins, sheathing, decking, siding), FINISH CARPENTRY (trim, cabinetry, jointed furniture), CONCRETE (sidewalks, stairs, pads), DRYWALL (hanging, taping, mudding, finishing), ELECTRICAL (120/240V single phase general wiring, service installation above/underground, residential & commercial panel & meter sets, trim, low-voltage), PAINTING (scraping, sanding, painting), PLUMBING (cast iron waste pipe, copper supply pipe, metal ducting, fixture installation), ROOFING (asphalt shingle, hot mop)

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,217 ·
Hi License Guru!

Thanks for your help when I was setting up my C-10 corporation last year --- all's going well, we're building a client base! Now I'm looking to add the B license classification, and my RMO has agreed to try to add the classification under his name, since he has 10+ experience doing various other trades part time as part of his previous sole proprietership (he only holds a C-10 at present).

I have a couple questions about the form. These are probably answered earlier in the thread (which I read fully about 6 months ago), but I can't find them now, and perhaps the CSLB's current practices have changed anyway.

Since his experience was for his sole proprietership, does that mean he was "self employed," or should I put down his sole proprietership's business name (which was just his name) and license number? I plan to indicate part time 10 years = 5 years full-time equivalent. He's worked with a B-1 holder for 10+ years who will certify his experience.

The certifier has employed my RMO as a sub. For his business relationship, should he say "contractor," or "business associate"?

Lastly, the certifier has asked us for a written description of the RMO's experience, so I'd like to hand him something that will look good by the CSLB standards, since he might just copy our wording. I was going to write something like:

FRAMING (walls, joists, subfloors, rafters/purlins, sheathing, decking, siding), FINISH CARPENTRY (trim, cabinetry, jointed furniture), CONCRETE (sidewalks, stairs, pads), DRYWALL (hanging, taping, mudding, finishing), ELECTRICAL (120/240V single phase general wiring, service installation above/underground, residential & commercial panel & meter sets, trim, low-voltage), PAINTING (scraping, sanding, painting), PLUMBING (cast iron waste pipe, copper supply pipe, metal ducting, fixture installation), ROOFING (asphalt shingle, hot mop)

Thanks again,

Eric
Hi Eric,

I'm glad to hear that everything is moving along nicely.

The cslb prefers to see that the B experience was obtained as an employee of a B contractor. Does your RMO have 1099's showing he was paid by the contractor? If he/you submit the experience as self-employed, it will open up a whole can of worms and he/you will have to prove his experience with permits that show the framing component. No permits, no permits with framing, no experience credit.

The certifier would check the Contractor box and enter his license number.

The outline should start with "Jim's (i.e.) experience includes journeyman (or supervisory) level work including Framing......." The rest is good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Eric,

I'm glad to hear that everything is moving along nicely.

The cslb prefers to see that the B experience was obtained as an employee of a B contractor. Does your RMO have 1099's showing he was paid by the contractor? If he/you submit the experience as self-employed, it will open up a whole can of worms and he/you will have to prove his experience with permits that show the framing component. No permits, no permits with framing, no experience credit.

The certifier would check the Contractor box and enter his license number.

The outline should start with "Jim's (i.e.) experience includes journeyman (or supervisory) level work including Framing......." The rest is good.
My RMO has 1099s from the B contractor, but most of them are probably >10 years old (they've known each other 20 years). Are you still offering to review these forms for CT folks, and if so, can I send this one your way?

Eric

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,219 ·
My RMO has 1099s from the B contractor, but most of them are probably >10 years old (they've known each other 20 years). Are you still offering to review these forms for CT folks, and if so, can I send this one your way?

Eric
Sounds like it might be tough for him to qualiy.

You bet. Email it to me contractorslicenseguru @ gmail.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

My dad has been licensed for 30 years (CSLB B & C-10 License). I am employed by a non-construction-related company. I have a 4-year degree in Business. For 20 months (2018-2019) I worked under his supervision (unpaid) during an Owner-Builder ground-up residential build that is my current house. I worked in many trades - helping with structural framing, electrical (rough & finish), plumbing (rough & finish), tile, hardwood flooring, low voltage, finish carpentry, concrete/masonry work (poured in place and CMU walls), fencing. I would do the work almost daily after my day job, weekends etc. I also handle or help with all back office management of the business.

His current license is a sole proprietor.

We are starting 2 new Owner-Builder ground-up projects (1 is my next house, 1 is his next house) right now.

I would like to get my B and C-10 licenses ASAP.

Any suggestions for what I should do to qualify for the license as soon as possible?

Thanks for the help and advice.

3201 - 3220 of 3230 Posts