Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
3181 - 3200 of 3230 Posts

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,181 ·
That is really good to know! One of our Affiliates asks us the same question a couple of days ago. Can part-time experience somehow turns in to full time.
Yes, part time is half of full time. If the applicant is only submitting part time experience, they must provide at least 8 years part time to equal the minimum 4 year full time requirement.

General Contractor / Truck Parts Store
162 Posts
Yes, part time is half of full time. If the applicant is only submitting part time experience, they must provide at least 8 years part time to equal the minimum 4 year full time requirement.
Thanks for the information !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning LG how long does live scan typically take to clear? Comments say it was sent to criminal background due to delay last Tuesday. Checked doj FBI is still in progress

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,184 ·
Good morning LG how long does live scan typically take to clear? Comments say it was sent to criminal background due to delay last Tuesday. Checked doj FBI is still in progress
Hello and welcome to CT.

I've seen delays that last 1-3 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening Guru,
I've read through the post but I wanted to raise the question again and check about the current situation:
I have 5+ Years of experience in the Insulation field, both installing and supervising, I have a licensed contractor to sign off that but no experience proofs, should I be worried before applying? Thanks!

Edit: Adding another question, would I be able to apply for additional classification (HVAC C-20) with the same approach after getting the Insulation C-2?

Thanks again, and by the way, your website is very helpful as well!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,187 ·
Good evening Guru,
I've read through the post but I wanted to raise the question again and check about the current situation:
I have 5+ Years of experience in the Insulation field, both installing and supervising, I have a licensed contractor to sign off that but no experience proofs, should I be worried before applying? Thanks!

Edit: Adding another question, would I be able to apply for additional classification (HVAC C-20) with the same approach after getting the Insulation C-2?

Thanks again, and by the way, your website is very helpful as well!
Sorry for the late reply, the CT system didn't notify me of the post.

Initially you're only providing your experience on the work certification form, which will be signed by someone who has firsthand knowledge of that experience. You don't have to "prove" it unless your app is randomly selected for a secondary review.
You can apply for an additional class after the license has been issued and you'll need to submit at least four years of full time experience. But... you can't use the same full time period that was used to qualify for the original license. The only exception to that is if you're submitting experience as an employee of a contractor that holds both classifications and has for at least four years.

If that's not the case, then you'll need to submit at least eight years of part time experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, the CT system didn't notify me of the post.

Initially you're only providing your experience on the work certification form, which will be signed by someone who has firsthand knowledge of that experience. You don't have to "prove" it unless your app is randomly selected for a secondary review.
You can apply for an additional class after the license has been issued and you'll need to submit at least four years of full time experience. But... you can't use the same full time period that was used to qualify for the original license. The only exception to that is if you're submitting experience as an employee of a contractor that holds both classifications and has for at least four years.

If that's not the case, then you'll need to submit at least eight years of part time experience.
Thank you for that information.
I wanted to check about a different situation, say I get an RMO for a General B license, will I be able to advertise Insulation and HVAC? The CSLB website is not quite clear about it and I want to avoid any complaints.
Based on my understanding I can advertise as a "General Contractor" or advertise 3 trades - so if I advertise as a Insulation, HVAC, Low voltage systems contractor for example, will that be ok?
If not, are there any ways for me to legally advertise Insulation, HVAC, Low voltage systems/networking systems with a General B license?

Thank you!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,189 ·
Thank you for that information.
I wanted to check about a different situation, say I get an RMO for a General B license, will I be able to advertise Insulation and HVAC? The CSLB website is not quite clear about it and I want to avoid any complaints.
Based on my understanding I can advertise as a "General Contractor" or advertise 3 trades - so if I advertise as a Insulation, HVAC, Low voltage systems contractor for example, will that be ok?
If not, are there any ways for me to legally advertise Insulation, HVAC, Low voltage systems/networking systems with a General B license?

Thank you!
You should not advertise for a single trade unless you hold the classification for that trade. Listing at least two trades in advertising would be acceptable.

Why two? The B contract must include at least two unrelated trades, neither of which can be framing or fire sprinkler systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should not advertise for a single trade unless you hold the classification for that trade. Listing at least two trades in advertising would be acceptable.

Why two? The B contract must include at least two unrelated trades, neither of which can be framing or fire sprinkler systems.
Thank you for clarifying!
This is great news for me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been a handyman in California for the last 3 years and have some owner/builder experience for the last 10 years. I'm thinking that I'm on the cusp of having the required experience for the B-2 license. So while I gather additional experience, I would like to get my ducks in a row.

My question is this. On the application in the "Certification of Work Experience" section parts 1 and 2. What is the best way to document my experience? Do I need to fill out a form for every small project I've done over the last 4 years, including my customer's Name and Address? Or do I fill out just one form summarizing my experience over the last 4 years? In the last 10 years I have not worked under a general contractor, I have always worked directly with the homeowner / landlord.

Thank you

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,195 ·
Hello,

One form covering at least four years of self employed experience. Do not list individual projects or administrative duties. Only the trades you performed on the field. Remember, do not list structural framing, plumbing or electrical in the wall, or hvac systems experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,

One form covering at least four years of self employed experience. Do not list individual projects or administrative duties. Only the trades you performed on the field. Remember, do not list structural framing, plumbing or electrical in the wall, or hvac systems experience.
Sounds like a plan. Do you feel that listing my own home remodeling would be a waste of time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Phil,

Hope the holidays are going well for you.

I've got a few questions about the General B license. I have two GCs signing for my experience (approx 4.5 years). My experience outside framing and finish work is roofing and concrete. I see that these two trades are accepted by the cslb, but do they favor applicants with electrical/hvac experience? I'd like to open my own shed building business and won't be doing electrical/hvac etc. Also, how much faster is the expedited veteran application? Thank you for your time.

-Aaron

·
Calif Licensing Expert
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,200 ·
Hi Aaron,

Are you providing B experience that was obtained as an employee of a B contractor? Or is it self-employed experience? If it's the latter, you'll have a very difficult time qualifying.

They don't care what the "two unlreated trades" are, but you have to provide structural framing experience.

The veteran expediting is only for those vets applying for a sole owner license. It cuts the initial review process from 6-8 weeks down to 1-2 weeks.

3181 - 3200 of 3230 Posts