Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3061 - 3072 of 3072 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an HVAC business, and I am the qualifier for the license. I am now applying for my C-2 license. As a contractor, my work experience is that we have done attic and wall insulation for the last ten years. We would sell an HVAC system and add in insulation. Or we would sell a ductless system for a garage and dense pack the walls to make the garage a conditioned space. We also did some home performances where we removed insulation and reinsulated and we also did spray foam insulation etc. I have a contractor with a C-2 who is going to sign off on my experience.

My experience is not working for this contractor doing insulation work. He also has a business and does our HERS testing, so he does all of our HERS testing’s and knows the work we do. I have done the work and managed the work for the last ten years. My questions are the following

• Can I list my experience even though we were not licensed in the trade?

• How do I list my experience? Are they looking for a few paragraphs or just bullet point the work I have done?

Thank you for your time,

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,062 ·
Hello Paddywagon,

Welcome to CT!

You'll submit the experience as part time under your license, go back 10 years, and list the total time as 5 yrs and 0 months. I can help you with the experience outline. Send me an email contractorslicenseguru @ gmail.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi jeg1086,

Welcome to CT!

You could take the exams and have the license issued inactive (no bonds needed), then apply for another license number for the corp. Or, take and pass the exams and then withdraw the application, then apply again for the corp. Your passing scores are good for 5 years.
Thank you for the quick response! Can I start the conversion process now with a test date early July or would that mess up my original application process?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cslb doesn't like to have two apps in the system for the same person at the same time. If you submitted the waiver app now, it would be processed in about 4 weeks. When's your test date?
Test date is July 1. I can hold off on the new CSLB application until after the test but I guess my question is could I start the conversion now for the corp to get a head start since it takes a while to process then after the test file the new application? I just want to make sure that if it converted before the test that it wouldn't throw off my whole original application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would that be the quicker route or would it essentially be the same? I am open to either one but couldn't really decide which would be the best route based on the information I could find.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,068 ·
To have it issued inactive or withdraw the app? I would withdraw it after passing. That way you don't have an inactive license sitting there waiting to be renewed. I assume you're going to dissolve the LLC with the Sect. of State?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the help. I guess one more question, can an application be revised after it posts or is it past the point of no return?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Paddywagon,

Welcome to CT!

You'll submit the experience as part time under your license, go back 10 years, and list the total time as 5 yrs and 0 months. I can help you with the experience outline. Send me an email contractorslicenseguru @ gmail.com
Thank you for the welcome glad to be here. I just sent you an email.

3061 - 3072 of 3072 Posts