Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3041 - 3052 of 3052 Posts

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,041 ·
Hi Lic Guru, I am a B license holder for about 5 years now and I'm looking to get an A-General Engineering lic. what form would I use and anything special I should know? Thanks for your time!
Hi KT and welcome to CT!

You'd use the Application for Additional Classification, but.... that's going to be a tough sell to the cslb. Have you by chance worked for an A contractor? That's about the only experience the cslb will accept.

Since a B can't do A work and vice versa, it would be pretty much impossible to show any A experience obtained over the course of your licensed period. The cslb wants to see experience in fixed or public works projects that require specific engineering knowledge and skill. Projects completed would need to include dams, power plants, sub stations, or bridges, etc. etc.

No longer will they accept city or county sewer or water line tear out/install, paving, curbs or sidewalks, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi License Guru.. I purchased your study kit to help my father pass his exams. Unfortunately, due to his language barriers, he keeps on failing. His application is about to expire and I think the next test is his final chance. So with that I wanted to apply myself since I will have a better crack at the test... so here's my question:

about 2 years ago I applied when I was around 22 (since my dad had more faith in me passing the exams and was too afraid to try), but obviously, I got flagged for being young and didn't have anyway of proving the experience. So I just had them remove me as qualifier and added my father since he has way more experience. And the application went on and ever since I been trying to help him pass but he has terrible test anxiety and now the application will be voided, as mentioned. I have been gathering up proof of experience since then but it's only about 2 years worth.. would I be flagged again, now that I'm turning 25 when the application voids, if I try to apply myself again? Will they hold on to my information even though I removed myself as the qualifier? Should I bother trying, or re apply with my father as qualifier again?

Thanks again PS your online exams helped him a ton so hopefully he just passes on his final try! (y)😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guru,

I'm in the process of completing my application for GC B, C-61/D Specialty, and C-12. I'm getting my contractor license because I'm looking at two different businesses that I'm looking to buy and they require C-61 and C12/C32. I have 5 years of experience as a property manager/project manager overseeing TI's in commercial real estate projects that I can document, along with Bachelor's in Real Estate and Finance. My question is that, how do I complete the work experience section and are there sites I can check out that have samples/examples for how to complete the certification ofwork experience? Thank you!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,048 ·
Hello and welcome to CT.

You can only apply for one classification at a time. Once the license has been issued, then you can apply for additional trades.

To qualify for the B license, you need to have at least four years of experience that has been obtained within the previous 10 years. The cslb prefers to see that the experience was obtained as an employee of a B contractor. If that is not the case, and you're submitting self-employed experience, the cslb will require that you complete a construction project form with as many projects as possible. They also require permit numbers for those jobs that show the required framing component. If you can't provide permits that include the framing component, whether pulled by you or someone else, the cslb will not give you credit for that specific experience.

When applying for additional classifications, you cannot use the same full time period to qualify that was used when you obtained the original license.

Your degree will be worth 18 months credit toward the 48 month requirement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and welcome to CT.

You can only apply for one classification at a time. Once the license has been issued, then you can apply for additional trades.

To qualify for the B license, you need to have at least four years of experience that has been obtained within the previous 10 years. The cslb prefers to see that the experience was obtained as an employee of a B contractor. If that is not the case, and you're submitting self-employed experience, the cslb will require that you complete a construction project form with as many projects as possible. They also require permit numbers for those jobs that show the required framing component. If you can't provide permits that include the framing component, whether pulled by you or someone else, the cslb will not give you credit for that specific experience.

When applying for additional classifications, you cannot use the same full time period to qualify that was used when you obtained the original license.

Your degree will be worth 18 months credit toward the 48 month requirement.
I checked out your website and noticed one of the services you offer is to help with completing and submitting the application. I want to ensure my application gets processed fast and passes through without any issue. Is this something you can help me with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked out your website and noticed one of the services you offer is to help with completing and submitting the application. I want to ensure my application gets processed fast and passes through without any issue. Is this something you can help me with?

3041 - 3052 of 3052 Posts