Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3021 - 3040 of 3072 Posts

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,021 ·
I am on parole for a gun violation, how can I go about getting my contractors license?
For rehabilitation evaluation, pursuant to the California Code of Regulations §869, CSLB is generally looking for three (3) years to have passed after a misdemeanor conviction and seven (7) years to have passed after a felony conviction, without further violations of law. These timeframes are calculated from the applicant’s date of release from incarceration or from the end of probation if no time was served and are subject to reduction or extension based on several factors, including the nature of the applicant’s conviction history as a whole. In addition, any type of conviction could be considered substantially related to the qualifications or duties of a contractor when evaluated in the context of the applicant’s entire conviction record.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, what a helpful forum thread! I've just spent a solid hour reading these and really appreciate your pro tips, Phil.

My case is a bit unusual -- but I guess that's probably true for everyone! I'd love your advise as I prep an application for a C-10.

I have a bachelors in music (2002), and worked self-employed, fixing and selling/renting houses since 2011. Since 2014, I've been working closely with an electrician. He thinks I've got enough experience for the C-10, but I don't think I have the documentation to prove it. He's willing to sign for me.

Even if I've been working at journeyman level, I'm not an electrician, since I never took the journeyman exam. My work was done on properties that I owned, or for family or close friends.

From 2017 to 2020, I went back to get a dual master's degree in Architecture and Structural Engineering. Some of my biggest projects working on electrical happened at the same time, and I was often putting in 80-100 hour weeks.

Since I don't think I can sufficiently document my experience, my C-10 contractor friend said I could send in two applications at once, one for sole proprietor (my initial preference), and one as a partnership with him as the 20% owner QP, just in case my sole proprietorship is denied due to lack of documentation. In that case, we'd work as partners for a few years until I get my own license. I know partnerships lead to liability, etc, but I've know this guy for 30 years and feel confident we could make it work.

Now the questions:

Would submitting two applications somehow cause alarms to go off at CSLB?

Should I submit transcripts for my masters in Architecture/Engineering, even if it's from the same time (2017-2020) as my self-employed work experience, or will that cause alarms? I'm definitely planning on submitting the BA degree for the 1 year it'll get me.

Thank you so much for any insight you might have!

Eric

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,023 ·
Hello Eric, and welcome to CT.

No, you cannot have two apps in the cslb system at the same time. I would suggest forming a corporation and listed your friend as the 20% RMO/qualifier. Partnership licenses are tricky because if one of the partners up and disassociates from the license, the license is voided. Never to return again. If you go with a corp, you can replace your friend at any point in the future when you have the necessary experience to qualify.

Your four year degree would give you 18 months credit. The masters would probably give you at least two years. The remaining time would be submitted as self-employed. With that type of experience you run the risk of the cslb asking your to provide documents to prove that experience, most likely with permits. Permits you never pulled because you don't have a license.

So my advice... skip the experience part and apply for a corp license with your friend as the RMO/qualifier. No exams, smoother process.

·
Registered
5 Posts

No, you cannot have two apps in the cslb system at the same time. I would suggest forming a corporation and listed your friend as the 20% RMO/qualifier. Partnership licenses are tricky because if one of the partners up and disassociates from the license, the license is voided. Never to return again. If you go with a corp, you can replace your friend at any point in the future when you have the necessary experience to qualify.

Your four year degree would give you 18 months credit. The masters would probably give you at least two years. The remaining time would be submitted as self-employed. With that type of experience you run the risk of the cslb asking your to provide documents to prove that experience, most likely with permits. Permits you never pulled because you don't have a license.

So my advice... skip the experience part and apply for a corp license with your friend as the RMO/qualifier. No exams, smoother process.
Thank you so much for this speedy reply! This is one of the most valuable forum threads I've seen in a long while, kudos!

·
General Contractor B-CA
53 Posts
Have my general B license for just over a year now. With that 1 year experience, I wanted to focus more on landscaping jobs so wanted to add a C27 landscaping license. What is my best approach to apply for my C27? Do I still need a qualifier to sign for me? What if I don't have the landscaping experience on paper?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,026 ·
Hello,

You'll need to show at least four years of full time experience in the C27 trade, but you can't use the same full time period you used to obtain the original license. You could show it as part time but would have to provide at least eight years experience to meet the four year full time requirement.

Yes, you would need someone to certify your experience on the application.

·
General Contractor B-CA
53 Posts
For my verifier, does it need to be the owner of the company? Can it be a manager, foreman, coworker?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,028 ·
For my verifier, does it need to be the owner of the company? Can it be a manager, foreman, coworker?
The certifier can be anyone who has first hand knowledge of your experience. A foreman/supervisor, contractor, employer, fellow employee, business associate.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hello Again License Guru!

After weighing the options, I'm starting an S corporation with my business partner (20%) as the RMO. He's been a C-10 in good standing for 30 years. Maybe this is a strange question, but I'm looking at the App for Original License (Waiver), and wondering: is this the right application form? If so, how should he fill out the "Certification of Work Experience"? Does he get someone else to certify him, even though he's been the "boss" for 30+ years? He's not sure he knows another C-10, but knows GCs and many clients. Should he fill out one "Certification of Work Experience," or many? I don't want this to be a pain for him, since I'm already very appreciative of the fact that he's agreed to set up this business relationship.

Your expert advise is appreciated!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,030 ·
No need to submit the experience page. The app will consist of the first page, the second page that will include your information, and the two pages with the all the questions. If he's listed on a sole owner license, you'll need to also complete the sole to corp form. The app version you have should be 01/2021. Let me know if you need a fillable app. I also offer free app review to CT members if you want me to look it over before submitting. [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
No need to submit the experience page. The app will consist of the first page, the second page that will include your information, and the two pages with the all the questions. If he's listed on a sole owner license, you'll need to also complete the sole to corp form. The app version you have should be 01/2021. Let me know if you need a fillable app. I also offer free app review to CT members if you want me to look it over before submitting. [email protected]
Thank you, Phil!
Does that mean he can't hold a sole owner and also be the 20% owner RMO in this new corp? I'd understood he could keep the old license for his own use, as long as he's a 20% owner in the new corp. I appreciate the offer of app review, I'll send you an email once we've got the corporation together and fill out the application!

·
Registered
20 Posts
LG, do you have any advice on how to contact a live voice when calling the CSLB? There was an error on my application and when I read the error on my application status it said my revision needed to be received by the same day it was documented. So I’m abit confused as what I’m supposed to do on my end?

·
Registered
Carpenter
2 Posts
License Guru,

My class B general building license expired more than 5 years ago, 2011 to be exact. I see that I need to submit an application for a new license. Will I also be required to test again? Also, for verification of experience, is there any chance my old license will be sufficient? Thanks.

·
Registered
Carpenter
2 Posts
Hello and welcome to CT.

Yes, you will need to take both exams again. The cslb will most likely ask for work experience that has been obtained within the last 10 years.
Well, not what I wanted to hear but definitely what I expected. Thanks for the response. You’re a great resource to have!

·
Registered
GC
709 Posts
Hello and welcome to CT.

Yes, you will need to take both exams again. The cslb will most likely ask for work experience that has been obtained within the last 10 years.
That's exactly what happened to a friend of mine. It appears that they consider ten years out of the business to long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lic Guru, I am a B license holder for about 5 years now and I'm looking to get an A-General Engineering lic. what form would I use and anything special I should know? Thanks for your time!

3021 - 3040 of 3072 Posts