Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3072 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi License Guru,

I am new to CT and scheduled to take my General Building (B) contractor license exam (both law and trade) next month. Looked around for good reading and exam material but seeing mixed results with companies out there.

Stumbled upon this thread and looking for recommendation on:
  1. What material to use for preparing for the exam
  2. Where to get practice exams
  3. Any guidance on how to prepare
Thanks in advance.

PB

·
General Contractor
147 Posts
In the Livescan packet, it references sending a copy of the completed form to CSLB, but never mentions which email or address to send it to. I assume the CBU, but I don't have an email for them. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi License Guru,

I am looking to take over my Father's pool construction business, and would like to apply for my own contractors license. Rather than go through the process anew, I was hoping to receive some guidance on how to best proceed with my certification and potential waiver exemption. I am an immediate family member of the licensee (son) and have completed more than the required 4 years of journeyman experience. My presumption is that if I first fill out the application to "Add New Personnel to Existing Corporate or Limited Liability Company License", once granted I will be listed under the CSLB records as the qualifier for a license (within the last 5 years) and will then qualify for a 7065 waiver exemption when applying for an 'Original Contractor License Application'.
My father is neither dead nor dying but at 71 years of age I would like to apply for my own license so that I can successfully acquire his company. Given my experience at the company and in the industry, I believe I may meet the qualifications for an exam waiver and would like to explore that option if possible before attempting to take the exam myself. To clarify, my father is not retiring yet and would still like to operate under his own license but I would like to apply for my own license so that when he does retire, I can more easily apply to assume his license number. We have operated in Northern California for over 40 years and I would like to keep the tradition alive.

Thank you,
Nicco

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,009 ·
Hello and welcome to CT.

You have two options, 1) apply for your own license using the experience you've gained and take the cslb exams, or 2) apply to replace your father as the qualifier on the existing license using the supervisory waiver of the exams. Dad can stay on the license and he could retire whenever he wants.

The above assumes that the current license is a corporation or LLC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey License Guru,

I am new to CT and was in the middle of completing my application when I found this place.

A quick question because the board was not able to give me a clear answer when I emailed them.

If I have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and a professional engineering license (Civil P.E. with structural engineering emphasis) how many years experience will that counts towards? Does the PE license even matter?

Thanks!!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,011 ·
Hello and welcome to CT. Depending on what classification you're applying for, your degree could be worth 18, 24, or 36 months. If applying for a C class, you'd probably get 18 months. The B class, possibly 24 months. The A class, probably 36 months. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and welcome to CT. Depending on what classification you're applying for, your degree could be worth 18, 24, or 36 months. If applying for a C class, you'd probably get 18 months. The B class, possibly 24 months. The A class, probably 36 months. I hope this helps.
I see thanks for the quick response! I would be applying for the Class B first and maybe the A in the future. The PE license does not count towards anything then?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,013 ·
The license itself? No. Only your education.

To qualify for the B license, you need to have at least four years of experience that has been obtained within the previous 10 years. The cslb prefers to see that the experience was obtained as an employee of a B contractor. If that is not the case, and you're submitting self-employed experience, the cslb will require that you complete a detailed project list form for as many projects as possible. They also require permit numbers for those jobs that show the required framing component. If you can't provide permits, whether pulled by you or someone else, the cslb will not give you credit for that specific experience.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,019 ·
CSLB’s Test centers and public counters will reopen this coming Monday, February 1, 2021. Priority scheduling will be based on date a candidates exam was canceled. Staff will begin contacting candidates tomorrow. Many locations will also be running evening sessions on select nights based on staff availability to address the backlog.

3001 - 3020 of 3072 Posts