Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

California Law, Finders Fees

3337 Views 13 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JumboJack
I am in a position to where I need to refer people to any and all building trades.

I have a strong background in marketing and would like to set up arrangements with contractors that the contractor would pay me a finder's fee preferably consisting of a percentage of his profits of jobs he gets because of my referral (after he gets paid, of course).

My question is, due to the strictness of California contracting law, is this legal?

I want to be sure I am being 100% legal and ethical.

Thanks.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
In California kickbacks are illegal.If you want to get paid for this kind of work you need to be licensed as a HIS (Home Improvement Salesman).And if you sell to more than one contractor you you need to be registered fir each one.

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Applicants/HomeImprovementRegistration/BeforeApplyingForHIS.asp
Jack, is anything legal in California? What happens if you forget to renew your license to breathe?
30 day grace period....:laughing:
Jack, is anything legal in California? What happens if you forget to renew your license to breathe?
Thanks JumboJack

That's what I thought even though I'm not technically selling anything and would give a list of qualified contractors.

But...

It's not worth fighting over.
LOL! No doubt!!!
So you want to give people a list of "qualified" contractors and then the contractor has to pay you?
Thanks JumboJack

That's what I thought even though I'm not technically selling anything and would give a list of qualified contractors.

But...

It's not worth fighting over.
Never mind. The whole thing is too sticky. I will steer clear of anything of the sort.
Probably a good call in California. How you guys navigate that world of red tape and bureaucracy and turn a profit is beyond me.
Profit?Does not compute?:laughing:
Probably a good call in California. How you guys navigate that world of red tape and bureaucracy and turn a profit is beyond me.
Doing it for love of the game Jack?
The love of food....:laughing:
Doing it for love of the game Jack?
Is there a prize if I correctly guess your favorite burger joint?
LOL..It's not Jack in the Box...
Is there a prize if I correctly guess your favorite burger joint?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.