Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"7. What kind of experience is required for a contractor's license?

At least four years of experience is required to qualify to take the examination. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journey level or as a foreman, supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder. These are defined as follows:

An owner-builder is a person who has the knowledge and skills of a journeyman and who performs work on his or her own property."

Does this mean a person with limited experience can qualify to take the exam by using his knowledge and skills as a home owner?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Didn't know you had to be tested for a Flooring License. Move to Washington. No test required...just get insured and get your license and start working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a license for everything in California. The application requires 4 years experience or a qualify individual to represent you. Flooring installation is not rocket science, although sand and finish takes a pro to get it done right. These days everyone is installing laminate and prefinished floors, I'll leave the custom jobs and inlays to those that qualify.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The inlays aren't that hard. Anything can be inlayed these days. Just be creative. I learned never to say never. I always end up doing what I previously said I would not do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts