Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is where I'll try to compile some of the equations I've used in the past. I look forward to seeing what y'all do out there.

Attachments

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This will take a while to create decent graphics.

Here is a set of transparent (alpha channel) png files of a speed square. I'll use these for when I need to show rafter angles or other things. They should download as transparent pngs hopefully.

The cut out areas should show through whatever is on the background.

Attachments

Reactions: mrcat

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First here are some tables I used to have in the truck in case the calculator died, or something was needed on-site.

Attachments

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's where we're going.....I have a favorite builder who knows stick-framed roofs. This saves him time on-site.

I'll try to get an organized process together showing how I do this. Maybe it helps someone....maybe not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
You never used the little blue roof framing book? Swanson speed squares use to come with a mini version.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
You never used the little blue roof framing book? Swanson speed squares use to come with a mini version.
That's a nice book to get someone started with the stacking& speed square terms. I'm sure I have looked it over but I have never used it. I have used both rafter books, also CM 111 to the CM pro. That software stuff is beyond me tho.

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No.
I always wanted to learn how those tables were created. What equations? How’d they determine those lengths? That sort of thing. I’ve always needed to understand the “how”. I bet I could have been faster and wealthier if I was less distracted, but that’s not how it goes.

Back around 2005 I realized that everything in a framed structure can be calculated. Then I married that to AutoCAD and I was creating cut sheets that saved a day or more.

There’s nothing worse (for me) to spend jobsite time doing something when I could do the calculations the night prior and then hit the ground cutting.

So two great apps that are helpful:
Raftertools +: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rafter-tools/id689788839

BuildCalc: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/buildcalc/id333369423

Raftertools is from Sim Ayers, a true master, in the realm of Joe Bartok.

Reactions: Dirtywhiteboy

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
A good framing sq. has rafter tables on them, really all you need. If they get worn off you can get your lengths by measuring with a tape. Example, 5/12 common rafter, measure across from the 5 to the 12 and it will be 13 1/8" then multiply as needed for the run.

I had to do it the old school way cause we didn't have those calculators then. I can certainly see the advantages of having them & how to use them.

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm working out a format in PPTX to keep things uniform.

The BuildCalc screen shots should also work with Construction Master up to a point where BuildCalc surpasses CM.

I'm using Fair Use law to copy the BuildCalc screenshots....nothing I submit here will ever be for sale or monetized. Sometimes it's not about $$$.

I like hearing about the old ways. I hope to merge the best of all ways into what we all might someday agree is a set of best practices - the Best Way, to be a technically precise craftsman.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
A good framing sq. has rafter tables on them, really all you need. If they get worn off you can get your lengths by measuring with a tape. Example, 5/12 common rafter, measure across from the 5 to the 12 and it will be 13 1/8" then multiply as needed for the run.

I had to do it the old school way cause we didn't have those calculators then. I can certainly see the advantages of having them & how to use them.
5x5=25
12x12=144
sum of these is 169
sq root of 169 is 13 not 13 1/8 :whistling

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
5x5=25
12x12=144
sum of these is 169
sq root of 169 is 13 not 13 1/8 :whistling
I pulled that number out of my arse simply as an example, never checked it with a book or framing sq. I knew it was close tho since I framed my house roof on a 5/12 about 5 years ago, my last roof, ha.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
Construction calculators have been around a long time now and the Rafter Book even longer.

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some different views of the same thing. Sometimes I don't get something in one format but then I do in another.

Attachments

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
When I have this all done, I'll create a list of the most common equations that I've used, and we can build that out with what y'all have used, into something really useful.

Let me know if the screenshots of the calculator help, or just the equations like in the format below:

[1] [2] [INCH] [PITCH]

Attachments

Reactions: Dirtywhiteboy

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sequence of some of this will seem scatter-brained as I find old CAD files to use for graphics. Once we reach a consensus I'll be more deliberate in the order that the final PDF displays.

Attachments

·
Pro
169 Posts
I’m enjoying this Wallmaxx, years ago, in an attempt to be a more efficient framer, I made these little charts and laminated them.
Along with a $4.00 calculator I got pretty good at generating cut lists, ridge props, ridge lengths, etc.
It took many nights of studying trig- which I hated- but it made me a better roof man
I would mark on the subfloor before the walls went up where each ridge started and stopped, ridge prop lengths and locations, ridge to ridge hips and valleys, etc
The guys could see in 2 dimensions what my cut pile would end up being in 3 dimensions
Now a construction master has replaced my cheat sheets- but that’s okay-time marches on EFAD8EFF-0D89-43D7-A73B-53B75E633E98.jpeg

2721D720-BD68-488B-AC34-CFBB33BC9F95.jpeg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts