Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You'd need to know the weight of the object.
Tons is a measurement of weight, CY is a measurement of volume.
A CY of feathers would weigh less than a CY of bricks.

Mac

·
Registered
399 Posts
Most quarries, pits, etc. have a proctor/density on file. A lot of the base around here is anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4 tons per yd. depending on moisture content, etc. I

If a proctor isn't on file, grab a five gallon bucket, weigh it, figure the volume and do your own conversion........not as accurate maybe, but better than guessing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Anybody have a quick and easy formula to find out how many Tons in a CY....Tons in a SY?? Thanks a bunch
Just remember, a square yard is 1/3 of a cubic yard. That being the case:

For tons per CY take the depth (height) of the cubic yards in inches, squared, divided by 27, times .055.

For tons per SY take the width (short side) of the cubic yards in inches, squared, divided by 9, times .055.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i always take cy x 1.35 to get tons for base. works good for most materials not precise but comes close. your gonna need to convert your sy to cy by dividing it by 27 then x it by 1.35

·
Registered
4 Posts

For tons per CY take the depth (height) of the cubic yards in inches, squared, divided by 27, times .055.

For tons per SY take the width (short side) of the cubic yards in inches, squared, divided by 9, times .055.
Not quite. A square yard in a unit of area. A cubic yard is a unit of volume. You can't compare the two like you're doing. 9 cubic feet is 1/3 of a cubic yard.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

Not quite. A square yard in a unit of area. A cubic yard is a unit of volume. You can't compare the two like you're doing. 9 cubic feet is 1/3 of a cubic yard.
Jerry,

I think/hope pipeguy realizes that cubic and square yards are completely different measures, and there is no conversion factor without knowing the X dimension

I hope he is just funning with the OP. With all that numerical mumbo jumbo, it sure seems that way ( fingers crossed)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jerry,

I think/hope pipeguy realizes that cubic and square yards are completely different measures, and there is no conversion factor without knowing the X dimension

I hope he is just funning with the OP. With all that numerical mumbo jumbo, it sure seems that way ( fingers crossed)
Don't know. Hope so too.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Most quarries, pits, etc. have a proctor/density on file. A lot of the base around here is anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4 tons per yd. depending on moisture content, etc. I

If a proctor isn't on file, grab a five gallon bucket, weigh it, figure the volume and do your own conversion........not as accurate maybe, but better than guessing.:thumbsup:

We are about the same around here, 1.2 to 1.4 tons to C.Y.

Just call the pit and find out,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts