Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
rebelwopause
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Evy1..... Hope the New Year brings better business to all...

Have done some limited research ( still in search mode) regarding a formula for calculating linear feet of wire needed based solely on the total square footage of a house... I realize there are many variables as far as panel location, number of drops, etc. but was looking for something to give rough estimate for amount of wire needed.... Does anyone know if such a formula even exisits, and if so, where I could find further information regarding same..... ? Thanks for the input....

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Good luck with that. A few years ago, I built a 12x15 sunroom for a lady, and till it was set up with all the bells, whistles and doodads she wanted, I had over 1200' of wire in it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
.... I realize there are many variables as far as panel location, number of drops, etc........
That right there is enough to show you the concept won't work.

Square Foot pricing works very poorly in the electrical trade, and hardly works halfway decent only in tract cookie-cutter homes where they're all pretty much the same size. What you're looking to do would be required to be the same idea.... all the homes be the same size and style.

And given that every electrician will wire the same house different, even if someone else did have enough historical data, it wouldn't apply to your methods of installation.

Best thing to do is to start benchmarking your own projects. Take stock of what you have to start with, and what's left when it's done. Keep track of that and start building your own database.

·
rebelwopause
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks , thats about what I figured.... and I very much appreciate not being razz'd about lookin for a "time saver"..... have read a lot of the posts here with morning coffees and late night refreshement, and I know by now that short cuts are heavily frowned upon.... Okay, razz away, I deserve it....should have realized before I asked the question that the only way to get the job done is to do it right, and screw the shortcuts...... mental note made, lesson learned...... Thanks again for being so willing to share your experience with us newbies..... Hats off to ya all!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts