Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Calculating Overhead

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Grumpy 
#1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but my overhead keeps going up and up and it's putting a hurtin' on me!. Which makes me wonder whether or not I am calculating correctly!

I currently take things like auto payment, insurance, phone, cell phone, total them up and divide them out to come up with a daily rate. Let's say all my overhad expenses are $100 per day. I take this $100 and add it to my salary to arrive at a number that I MUST make each day. Do you do the same?

What about things like tools?? For instance--a mitre saw costs $400. It's paid for in cash. Do you still add this to your daily overhead expense for the entire year?

Richie

#2 ·
Related to overhead- Starting today every service call gets an explicit $5 fuel surcharge added to the bill. I could just raise the service call minimum by 5 bucks, but an explicit fuel surcharge makes people mad at oil companies instead of me.

Don't reply to fuel surcharges, since I don't want to threadjack a pretty decent overhead claculation question.

#3 ·
Richie-C said:
Do you do the same?
Same way.

Richie-C said:
What about things like tools?Do you still add this to your daily overhead expense for the entire year?
I plug small tools and equipment into OH. I look at the cost of the item, estimate a reasonable life expectancy (replacement cycle) and figure a per day cost. Not everybody does it that way I'm sure. Ask your accountant what he/she thinks.

#6 ·
To sum it up... Every expense, including your salary and your office staff's salaray, which can not be directly billed to a job expense, such as materials or equipment rental is OVERHEAD.

To put it in other words the expenses you incur daily, weather you work or not are OVERHEAD.

How you calculate overhead is up to you. Some guys calculate hourly and figure it into their hourly rate. I prefer to calculate daily. If you do some searching in this forum you will find some good topics where overhead is discussed indepth. Like I said I calculate my overhead on a daily basis. What I do is take 365 days worth of overhead, that's a whole year if ya didn't know :) and divide it by 200 which is the average number of working days in my area.

#7 ·
Grumpy said:
To sum it up... Every expense, including your salary and your office staff's salaray, which can not be directly billed to a job expense, such as materials or equipment rental is OVERHEAD.

To put it in other words the expenses you incur daily, weather you work or not are OVERHEAD.

How you calculate overhead is up to you. Some guys calculate hourly and figure it into their hourly rate. I prefer to calculate daily. If you do some searching in this forum you will find some good topics where overhead is discussed indepth. Like I said I calculate my overhead on a daily basis. What I do is take 365 days worth of overhead, that's a whole year if ya didn't know :) and divide it by 200 which is the average number of working days in my area.

Grumpy,

I do the same. Just looking to see what others do. Seems like in the painting game, overhead can kill your profit and then some--at least from what I have experienced. Since there is really nothing to mark up except for a few gallong of paint--it's really all labor and even one day over schedule will hurt you. Some will argue "tack on a day or two" if you are not making a profit. But if you are charging rates that will enable you to make a nice living in the first place, tacking on a a day or two's rate may put you out of the ball park.

Richie

#9 ·
Grumpy said:
Wait a second here. You said charging rates to make a nice living... and you said a day over schedule will kill you. That's an oxymoron IMO.

I can be a day over schedule on my jobs and yes I won't make very much if any profit but I've enough markup that I certianly will not lose any money.

Yeah--I guess that is an oxymoron. I guess what I am saying is that I ma "trying" top charge enough to make a nice living, but it's been a tough road. Yes, I do make salary--but I would also like to grow my business into something of value, which is why profit is so vital.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.