Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get it for $20 a 50lb bag. Here its $30 for Soda, and I was wondering if Calcium Carbonate is better in or equivalent or worse than soda? I am also curious what any of you guys would pay for a pallet 40 50lbs bags shipped to your business?
Thanks!

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Calcium is sprayed onto icy roads up here in the winter time to melt ice
It's a contributing factor in keeping me in business with rusty cars and trucks
Eats the metal

I am wondering if it's the same or similar stuff ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Says Calcium Carbonate is already used as a blasting media called Finicall. It is 2.5 hardness same as baking soda but less residue. Comes from crushed lime? Says it causes less oxidation than Sodium bicarbonate. Anyone use it? I see a lot off suppliers sell it but I never used it, I have to buy a couple bags and try but if someone has let me know.
Thanks!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Commercial quantities of baking soda are also produced by a similar method: soda ash, mined in the form of the ore trona, is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates as a solid from this method:

It seems to be a little of both. They mine the first part and then make the soda from it. Then they would crush it differently for us vs a muffin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We use and sell calcium carbonate as a blasting material. It is harder than soda and also more productive. Our coarse calcium carbonate can actually strip mill scale.

It's a dusty material and can leave chalky impregnations in the substrate. However in my experience it's quite a good material for non porous, flat surfaces, making a surface profile that is barely noticeable even when blasting at around 60 psi.

We use it to restore marble graves here. I recommend it to my customers as a cheaper alternative to soda. Also, I'm no chemist but I never really liked the idea of blasting surfaces with hygroscopic salt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts