Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Calcium Carbonate anyone?

5159 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Pytheas Group
Has anyone blasted with Calcium Carbonate? I have an Accustrip SX12.
I found a large supplier of this product slot cheaper than sodium bicarbonate. So anyone use it before? What do you think?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
What's the price for a 50# bag? Soda from my supplier has dropped down to $25 per 50# bag.
I can get it for $20 a 50lb bag. Here its $30 for Soda, and I was wondering if Calcium Carbonate is better in or equivalent or worse than soda? I am also curious what any of you guys would pay for a pallet 40 50lbs bags shipped to your business?
Thanks!
Calcium is sprayed onto icy roads up here in the winter time to melt ice
It's a contributing factor in keeping me in business with rusty cars and trucks
Eats the metal

I am wondering if it's the same or similar stuff ??
You may want to check the Moh of the calcium to see what you are dealing with. It also may not explode on impact like soda does and strip completely different ?
Says Calcium Carbonate is already used as a blasting media called Finicall. It is 2.5 hardness same as baking soda but less residue. Comes from crushed lime? Says it causes less oxidation than Sodium bicarbonate. Anyone use it? I see a lot off suppliers sell it but I never used it, I have to buy a couple bags and try but if someone has let me know.
Thanks!
Haven't tried it either but I know that soda is the same mineral as the baking stuff but it is not ground in to a powder so it will work for blasting. I imagine when they sell the C.C. for blasting it is also prepared differently and worth the extra cost. Just my guess.
From my understanding of the process is the crystal is grown larger in that of a blasting media verse a soda used for baking or other uses.
I thought they just mine for it and then crush it differently. I will further explore this just to know.
Commercial quantities of baking soda are also produced by a similar method: soda ash, mined in the form of the ore trona, is dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide. Sodium bicarbonate precipitates as a solid from this method:

It seems to be a little of both. They mine the first part and then make the soda from it. Then they would crush it differently for us vs a muffin.
We use and sell calcium carbonate as a blasting material. It is harder than soda and also more productive. Our coarse calcium carbonate can actually strip mill scale.

It's a dusty material and can leave chalky impregnations in the substrate. However in my experience it's quite a good material for non porous, flat surfaces, making a surface profile that is barely noticeable even when blasting at around 60 psi.

We use it to restore marble graves here. I recommend it to my customers as a cheaper alternative to soda. Also, I'm no chemist but I never really liked the idea of blasting surfaces with hygroscopic salt.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.