Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of getting away from our F450 - F550 for hauling tools and equipment and switching to cabovers for maneuverability. My questions are, who makes the best overall cabover truck? and why? I've been looking at fuso and Isuzu. Any insite would be helpful.

·
Banned
846 Posts
If you're looking for a 4x4 cabover there are 2 choices.

Mitsubishi Fuso FG

Nissan UD 3300 w/ Pioneer 4x4

If you just need 2 wheel drive you can't really go wrong with anything Nissan, Mitsubishi, or Isuzu makes. Nissan has the nicest interiors, Mitsubishi has the smoothest transmissions, Isuzu has the best visibility.

Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu are the big 3 of cab over trucks and are well represented at landscaping shows and expos. I've driven them all from the little 14,000GVW all the way to 33,000GVW. Any questions fire away.

Reactions: Kaboyz

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You guys ever run into Hino's? Quite a few around here, which I thought was strange concidering I never throught they had a solid reputation. I really don't applaud Isuzu's ability to make diesel engins either.

I've never owned one but I've been in em and though it was great, visibility is a little scary at first but onece you get use to the unusual feeling its awesome.

+1 for the Not good for tail gating factor... because it's a cab over....there is not much crush space should you hit something or someone hit you.
True, espicially if its another cab-over, luckily you have the height advantage and most smaller cars will say hello to your bumper and engin. On the bright side nothing is more intimidating to slow motorists then looking back and seeing your angry mug practically on their back window.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Personally I see the cab overs advantage as the ability to have a really large bed in a truck that's short overall.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It doesn't help you if they are driving a full size american pickup... that just means you rear him..your fault... and you end up getting hurt and paying high insurance. I prefer having a engine block directly in front of me along with the crush zone.. The cabovers might have it's uses but I've seen enough cab over accidents to know cabovers aren't safe in collisions. I've seen a cab over literally shear off after rear ending a F350.

·
Banned
846 Posts
We have 14000 fuso looking for 19.5 GVW. Does Nissan compare to Fuso power and warranty?
You'd want to look at the Nissan UD 2000 it's 19.5K GVW. Nice thing is the Nissans weigh around 8,000lbs wet, so you get a lot of payload.

The warranty is 36 months, unlimited miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the safety factor but if my drivers are not tailgating and are driving careful there should be no probs. From a buisness stand point it is hard to beat the cab overs. When you take a Fuso's warranty it is really hard to justify spending the extra money on Ford, Chevy, and Dodge!

·
Banned
846 Posts
Does Nissan HP and Torq compare to the Fuso's? The Fuso's warranty is 5 yr 250,000 miles.
The UD 2000 equivelant in the Fuso line would be the FK. Both have engines in the 230 horsepower range.

The extended warranty on the UD goes to 60 months 300,000 miles.

Both trucks are pretty much equal in payload, power, performance.

The difference is in the nuances. Personaly I think the UD has a nicer interior in terms of fit and finish and driver ergonomics. However the Mitsubishi has a more carlike feel when driving it.

The biggest factor is dealer support. If you're going to buy one of these tucks you don't want to have the dealer a half day drive away. It makes it harder to do PMS and get repairs done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
About 10 years ago I was very hot to get a Mitsu but 2 things happened. A guy I know had one for a few years without any trouble until he was out of warranty. Once he had to start putting money into it it never stopped. And many of the parts were uber expensive. It cost him a fortune in lost work and repairs. Then I saw a picture in the paper of one that ran into a semi. Scary stuff!
I am sure they are more reliable and safe than they were but my supply house has one (I don't know the brand) and its getting its second tranny replaced.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Ford has the LCF.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts