Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I used Cabot Deck Stain on my Mahogany Porch and it didn't last 6 months. I will never use their products again.

I have been in the painting industry since 1994.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Cabot a lot.... until May of 2013.
To adhere to new California Environmental guidelines, Cabot changed their formula from a OIL based product to a "kinda oil based water based formula" (Direct quote from local Cabot rep). I put this on a home that had shingles, and when I was done it looked perfect. Looked brand new and fantastic. The owners were super happy and pleased with it.

I get a call in March of 2014. "hey the shingles are all faded out and look like crap." The product had not been on for a year yet. Cabot agreed that there product had messed up, they knew the product was no good and sent it out anyway.

Cost to reshingle the house.... $45,000.00

I will NEVER USE ANY CABOT product again.

I now use Preservawood. It also has the added benefit of using natural oils (and in doing so complies with environmental). Also the recoat procedure is really easy... clean off and reapply. No sanding, no stripping, just clean and add some more on.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,849 Posts
I don't see how you would allow yourself to be held responsible for shingles that faded, especially a 45K roofing job. You put exclusions in the contract stating such. If they were decorative shingles then a semi-solid or solid stain should have been used imo. I would never stain shingles on a roof, just let them turn gray.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,984 Posts
I don't see how you would allow yourself to be held responsible for shingles that faded, especially a 45K roofing job. You put exclusions in the contract stating such. If they were decorative shingles then a semi-solid or solid stain should have been used imo. I would never stain shingles on a roof, just let them turn gray.
I think he said it was siding, in which case, it would keep its own color for more than a year without any finish. You're right though about roofs.

I just don't understand residing an entire building because of color fading, its wood... As long as it isn't failing it can be brought to look like new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Junk. I usually try products on my own deck before selling it to a customer. I used a cleaner, wood bleach, and pH balance on new 5/4 Cedar before applying semi-transparent Cabot Deck stain.

Winter has passed and it's already peeling. I have found better luck with Thompson and Sikkens products.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,655 Posts
The MSDS says it's Sodium Percarbonate. Since i haven't tried one based on that, I'll have to try some.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts