Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you all use for cable rails? Suppliers that is.

I seem to remember someone posting links but, I couldn't find that thread.

TIA

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Atlantis Rails and Feeney would be where I'd start looking. Feeney is local to me and I've seen ads in the Deck Builder mag for Atlantis... (with the caveat that I haven't had a client yet go for the cable rail option).

Mac

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark & Mac.

I've had customers ask about cable rails before, but like you Mac, have never had one bite. A GC that I built a TT deck for had a cable rail put on it after I was done. He used SS post which looked pretty good. He had his men put in on so it can't be too hard to do as his men were about as sharp as marbles.

All that said I hope my customer likes the deckorators & I won't have to fool with the cables.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I am biding a TimberTech job where the Wallet wants cable rail. I just cant see it seems like there is enough movement in the wire to rout out the holes in the post wrap. Still thinking. J.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I am biding a TimberTech job where the Wallet wants cable rail. I just cant see it seems like there is enough movement in the wire to rout out the holes in the post wrap. Still thinking. J.
ferrule??

Wish I could play with that cool stuff... Not sure it would be code here

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I have looked at sites like that,seen how they go together, how they look.

Looks like shetttola to me. All the silly wires going in strange directions down the stair way and around the posts. Stupid. Mabey on a com job but I am backing out biding it on that project hard times or no. JonMon

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jonmon, don't give up the ship. Cable railing is actually a easy install. Possibly quicker then any other railing, if you set it up right.

I think that you can get SS sleeves to put in the holes, if you are worried about the wire expanding the hole.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Cable rail is very easy to install but it can get tricky for stairs. We use Feeney also with a few Atlantis systems here and there. They do sell sleeves. I would recommend it if you have a softer wood or angles.
We normally use ten rows spaced 3 1/4". Check with your county if it is allowed. We have only two counties in my area that approves the horizontal cable system.
Clemens
www.finedecks.com

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys, I really should do what the Wallet wants.Will defentley look closer. J.
That's where I'm at John, I don't want to loose a gravy job over cable rails. Mays well learn how to do it.

One of those links posted has what looks like a pretty simple system, screwing turnbuckles in the post.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cable rail is very easy to install but it can get tricky for stairs. We use Feeney also with a few Atlantis systems here and there. They do sell sleeves. I would recommend it if you have a softer wood or angles.
We normally use ten rows spaced 3 1/4". Check with your county if it is allowed. We have only two counties in my area that approves the horizontal cable system.
Clemens
www.finedecks.com
I see from looking at your site you've done a good bit of cable rails, very nice looking rails.

Do you always or just perfer to double post the corners? Besides the look I'm guessing another reason, ease of streching cable maybe.

I've seen the cable rails around so I'm guessing it's allowed here, something I should check on even tho this job is out in the country & no juridiction there. Travis county permits are a joke, all they do is check to see if the deck is in the flood plane, if not here's your permit for 50 bucks, no inspections of any sort.

A couple of more questions, why the tighter spacing, the 3 1/4"? Do you think you need a sleeve if using ipe 4x4's w/holes?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I see from looking at your site you've done a good bit of cable rails, very nice looking rails.

Do you always or just perfer to double post the corners? Besides the look I'm guessing another reason, ease of streching cable maybe.

I've seen the cable rails around so I'm guessing it's allowed here, something I should check on even tho this job is out in the country & no juridiction there. Travis county permits are a joke, all they do is check to see if the deck is in the flood plane, if not here's your permit for 50 bucks, no inspections of any sort.

A couple of more questions, why the tighter spacing, the 3 1/4"? Do you think you need a sleeve if using ipe 4x4's w/holes?
I'm not Clemens, but I always double post my corners, regardless of the railing type.

I don't think that you would need sleeves with ipe. But you should ask Greg Di about drilling ipe posts. I always use redwood or cedar posts, with a cap to match the decking.

The 3 1/4" spacing is to prevent that 4 " sphere from getting between the wires. They are not rods, there is some play in there.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I pluged the price in over the phone they were sucking air so hard there next breath came hard. I figured in using composite post wraps shimed inside and the metal sleaves with washers 3'' oc cable rail on 36'' high, earthwood TT with the clips.

You would have thought I sugested wanting to eat there first born,total ungule delam on the price. They both got on speaker to tell me what I rip off I was trying to be. Guatta Love It JonMon

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
I pluged the price in over the phone they were sucking air so hard there next breath came hard. I figured in using composite post wraps shimed inside and the metal sleaves with washers 3'' oc cable rail on 36'' high, earthwood TT with the clips.

You would have thought I sugested wanting to eat there first born,total ungule delam on the price. They both got on speaker to tell me what I rip off I was trying to be. Guatta Love It JonMon
I'm going to retract my thoughts, before I even share them.

Too public of a forum.

Glad you didn't waste the fuel visiting with them.
~Matt

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I love the cable railing the stuff is really easy to install plus it looks amazing. The only thing I hate is how expensive the connectors are, the cable isn't the bad part it's all your connection pieces. I will look for some camera phone pics here in a minute of the last railing and cable system I completed, I will take better ones tomorrow so you can actually see the connections: I used sleeves for all my angle pieces where stairs or a change of elevation was an issue.

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Call Indital, they have a cable/post system called INOX, it is available in steel/galvanized/ and stainless. They will be able to help you out. Whatever you do don’t try to go cheap and use aircraft cable, the oil will leach out the middle and look like crap in less than a year, ask me how I know:whistling

1 - 20 of 25 Posts