Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Brains
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

I have been reading a bunch of older posts and have gotten bits and pieces of answers for this q.
I have a few cabinets that must be refinished. There are 4 or 5 coats of paint on it. the top coat is an acrylic flat off white sw a200 i think. looks like it has been rolled with a heavy nap i think 3/4. all the hardware as well. Its gonna take some work and i know i can meet their expectations with what i know already but i dont want my name attached to anything that i know isnt perfect. Im looking for a smooth glass like factory looking finish if possible
I have a graco hvlp 9.5 coming next week and Im hoping this will help the finish. Iv seen some difrent opinions and preferences on paint. Everything I use will have to be SW. My top coat will be sw proclassic acrylic latex gloss. Never sprayed this paint or gun before and Iv heard the paint isn't the most user friendly. Should I cut it w anything? how much?
I have sw shellac on hand should i hit it w a coat before paint or not necessary? Before anything i will be roughing up the current finish, would you agree w this or do you think something more.
Just so you all know, This was basically thrown on me. i didn't bid or undercut anyone and get into something i have no clue about my boss said were not taking the cabinets out any more and to take care of it. I guess that means they have faith;). Airbrushing is a hobby iv used a titan xt440 airless for a couple hundred gallons but no hvlp. i will be doing some test runs w the gun before hitting the cabinets and will post photos.
thanks all

·
Registered
83 Posts
i would sand the cabinets really good. then prime them with zinnser cover stain to insure a good bond to the cabinets. there usually is grease or oil on cabinets especially near the stove. then spray brush and use a whizz roller with some SW water reducable oil paint. it's a brand new paint. levels out as if it was sprayed on but was really brushed on. leaves no brush marks and sets up in 30 minutes. usually covers in 1 coat. the hvlp is good but you will have to cut the latex paint. i have a hvlp the 9100 series with the power cart. machine works great just not worth the mess or time.

·
The Brains
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks
I didnt mention these are in an office. The paint you talk about is definatly somthing im gonna look into. even if i dont use it for this, it sounds like somthing that will have many diffrent uses

1 - 3 of 3 Posts