Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
got a small job this week, remove three upper (kitchen) cabinets, cut a hole in the wall (so plumber can change out a pressure regulator) then re-install the cabinets. (basement suite) I've done this before, and its a pita! holding the cabinets while trying to screw them back in place. Google search returns some nice equipment for jobs like this, but they are way expensive, so the closest thing I can think of is a floor jack. I can get a pos one from a local store for $25 15" lift -which would be about right resting it on the lower cabinets and using some pieces of ply (under the wheels to get it a bit higher if necessary. I am not sure what else is out there for a job like this - I don't get too many cabinet replacement requests, so I didn't want to spend $500 on a lifter.
what do you all use?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use a step stool made the correct height to set on the base cabs. I also have used plywood pieces nailed to form a corner shaped assembly. It's not high tech but it works. I would question wheter its economically prudent to invest much more than that for rarely required services.

·
Eater of sins.
4,705 Posts
If the wall will get messed up a bit then have to be repaired any way you could screw some 1x to the wall at the base of the uppers, take 'em down let the plumber do his thing, re-install uppers using the 1x to keep them from falling.
Easy enough to do but maybe there is tile on the wall?

Andy.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The 1x idea is a good one.

If that doesn't blow your skirt up then maybe build a couple boxes that fit under the uppers with a little shim room before you yank them. Test with your shims and mark them.

That is if there is a countertop under the whole run.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
got a small job this week, remove three upper (kitchen) cabinets, cut a hole in the wall (so plumber can change out a pressure regulator) then re-install the cabinets. (basement suite) I've done this before, and its a pita! holding the cabinets while trying to screw them back in place. Google search returns some nice equipment for jobs like this, but they are way expensive, so the closest thing I can think of is a floor jack. I can get a pos one from a local store for $25 15" lift -which would be about right resting it on the lower cabinets and using some pieces of ply (under the wheels to get it a bit higher if necessary. I am not sure what else is out there for a job like this - I don't get too many cabinet replacement requests, so I didn't want to spend $500 on a lifter.
what do you all use?
Scipio's ledger board idea is the least pita.

However if you have a harbor freight near by purchase thier load locks for about $8 (like for semi trucks).

Worked for a cabinet installation company who used those for uppers.

They work for uppers without bases so if you have a drill press or have a steady hand with a drill, cut them with a hacksaw or sawsall and redrill the posi lock holes.

Mount a scrap rectangle of MDF,plywood, etc to top and bottom you're done and you have a "resuable" for future what ifs.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've got to learn to down load pictures!

I made a home made stand many years ago. Still works when I need it.

made of two 12x12 plywood squares--2 --1/2" PIPE FLANGES ,piece of 1/2" pipe.
A length of threaded rod-------big washer,wing nut ,bushing to adapt threaded rod to pipe flange.

screw one flange to each piece of ply.
Put piece of pipe into one flange(that's your base)
put threaded rod into other flange-Add wing nut-then big washer
Slip rod into pipe.

that's it .
mike

·
Registered
685 Posts
If the wall will get messed up a bit then have to be repaired any way you could screw some 1x to the wall at the base of the uppers, take 'em down let the plumber do his thing, re-install uppers using the 1x to keep them from falling.
Easy enough to do but maybe there is tile on the wall?

Andy.
this is the way I do it also.

Ray

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
I carry these {I call them Helping Hands} Actually you might call them story poles. Made from EMT 3/4" & 1/2" a 1/4-20 nut is brazed to the 3/4 about 2" from the end. The lenght is what you require.

Attached are 2 photos on one assume that the 2x6 piece is your cabinet,

or the lenght of a cut Ie: Wall studs from the bottom to the top plate.

Just put it in place tighten up. remove and transfer the measurement.

2nd photo shows the brased nut and a bent carrige bolt for a handle.

You will be amazed at the weight they hold.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts