Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small shop at my house I do a few things nothing big, but a "shop" has opened up below us at our office 30'x28' with bath room and 20' ceilings for 350 a month not to bad. So with that said I am going to start doing a little more myself but have a question about material, where and how do you guys get your "material" for you cabinets and what kind of stock do you keep. Thanks so much guys everyone on here has been so great, I hope I have or can help as much as I have been help :clap:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
WOW, $350 a month for that size, NY you would be around $1700 plus utilities. Keep your stock low, stock is money, i am surrounded by yards that carry everthing i need. Get a job, make a list, pick up mat, GMOD

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,657 Posts
Where do I get my material? From my supplier (Atlantic Plywood Corp). How do I get them. Call them up and either do a will call or have them deliver it to me.

What kind of stock do I keep? As little as possible. I order sheet goods for the job, usually a sheet or two extra in case of mistakes or less than quality materials. Solid stock is just about the same way. Call my supplier and have them deliver it to me. What I have on stock is what is left over from the previous jobs.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Congrats on renting some shop space.:thumbsup:

I buy my staple sheet stock 20 sheets at a time and just get more when I need more. My solid stock is bought as needed for anything other than maple. I have maple face frame stock run through a molder at my supplier and stock several hundred feet of 3 different widths. that is used for paint grade jobs and maple jobs.

Hardware, I buy in a bit more bulk. I have plenty of every hinge and plate we use. Slides are similar. I use the tandems as my variable to get to the $400 minimum for free shipping from the wholesaler. Not uncommon to get a couple cases of tandems when we only need a small order of something else. They will get used up soon enough. Nothing worse than running out of a $3 item that you use all the time.

I nailed down the details of a small kitchen job today that we can cut on tomorrow and I think we have everything on hand. That is nice.

At 840 square feet and only doing small jobs, I would just buy as you go. Figure a little heavy and you will quickly build up a small inventory. Then figure out what you want to keep handy and order those things a little extra heavy for a while when you need them. No need to tie up a bunch of cash when you are getting going. Let the suppliers hold on to your inventory for you.

I hope this helps in some way

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,443 Posts
My hardwood supplier is about a half hour away and I go and get that. My plywood is delivered by Russell Plywood, about 70 minutes away. Like Leo, I only keep on hand what I need for the job. The leftovers are for me to play with and some profit for the next job.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Being in Southern California there are numerous suppliers for plywood and hardwoods. I use a local place that's been in business for 50 years and has just about anything I could dream of in stock all the time. About a 15 minute drive.

Check out this selection: http://www.weberply.com/newcatalog.pdf
12 variates of 3/4" red oak ply, just to name one and that's just plywood. They also carry Panolam, thermally fused panels.
http://www.weberply.com/panolam.htm

If anyone is in SoCal, check em out.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Unless you can see the future,buy as you go. Whatever you buy on speculation will be the last thing you sell.
If you can see the future, what are the winning powerball numbers?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Robert check these folks we have one here out Hardwoods, Incorporated – Tennessee Location
310 Dover Rd
Clarksville, TN , 37042
877-989-9663
(ph) 931-802-2534
(fax) 931-802-2538

1 - 11 of 11 Posts