Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really know were the best place for this thread was. My wife wants me to build some vanities with the same finish as our kitchen cabinets. One problem I don't really know who built them. The other problem they are white with a chocolate like glazing. Wanted to know best way to achieve this look? I grew up in a cabinet shop in the early 80's this type of finish wasn't being applied in our area during this period not sure were to start. Any one know how to achieve this look.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
If they're vanities, they are not going to be close to the kitchen. I'd think as long as the finish is close, you're not going to be able to see them directly next to the kitchen cabs. If they're a bit off, no one will notice the difference. :thumbup:

Paint em, glaze em & install em!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
search out an ML Campbell dealer in your area and head down there for product literature, color charts, samples, etc. I personally like Campbell products the best after using Behlen and Sherwin-Williams Pro coatings for awhile.

A better place for all things finishing is Woodweb. They have a knowledge base over there with just about every question asked and answered. (Sorry Nathan!) Google it up and check it out...

It doesnt sound like a difficult finish schedule.. Sealer- White finish- Glaze- Clear Topcoat. Practice on some scrap first, and get the wife's approval. You may want her to sign a document too, you know how women can conveniently forget things sometimes.... :whistling

:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to the craft store, they sell glazes. Tell someone there that you need chocolate glaze. Take some scrap pieces of wood and paint them white, then paint on the glaze. 1 light coat on 1 piece, then the next piece do 2 coats. Do this until you get it.:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check for compatibility between glaze and top coat. Some waterborne clears will not stick to the typical commercially available solvent glazes. Waterborne glazes can be a little difficult to work with on larger items because of shorter dry time. For a paint and glaze combination you will want to make sure you find a non-yellowing clear topcoat. Clears that yellow ruin many a paint/glaze project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts