Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I was wondering if any of know of you use a door suppliers rather then building your own. I have two projects. 1) face lift (my rental). 2) Total build out the boxes and buy the doors.
I've done a lot of finish work over the years built-ins small nook cabinets, old historic trim work, even custom made trim to duplicate... etc. and have always wanted to build a kitchen from scratch. To me it seems the doors may be the hardest part.
Lohow it turns out. I'm not trying to enter the kitchen business by any means. Just on my list of things to do.
Looking for doors and hinge vendors.
Also please feel free to post picts of your work. That always makes these threads more interesting.

Thanks.
Yannis
citydecksinc.com
citypropertiesinc.net

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I was just installing some drawer boxes and fronts from Walzcraft in my parents house today.

If anyone gives me crap about how long this is taking we're not gonna be friends any more.

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Conestoga wood Specialties
Meridan Products
Keystone Wood Specialties

They are all right near you in Lancaster Co.

I have used all 3 at various times, all good.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've been using Keystone wood specialties located in Penn for over 20 yrs .
Family ran company and if your close enough they may personally deliver your order .

·
Registered
Custom
13,767 Posts
For a rental, I would suggest not spending a lot of money on it. You want to be able to easily maintain it. Go with melamine cabs with thermofoil (RTF) doors/drawerfronts that are easily cleaned and replaced if damaged. The frames are not usually the thing that takes the abuse, but the fronts, so sticking with white will allow you can change any damaged fronts easily without worrying about matching issues and allow you the flexibility to change the style without changing the cabs...

For subbing out a job...

Elias Woodwork (free shipping over a certain amount and they also have RTA)
Conestoga Woods (also have RTA, but no free shipping)
Walzcraft (also have RTA but no free shipping)

All three also offer drawers, and face-frames and matching moldings...

Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a rental, I would suggest not spending a lot of money on it. You want to be able to easily maintain it. Go with melamine cabs with thermofoil (RTF) doors/drawerfronts that are easily cleaned and replaced if damaged. The frames are not usually the thing that takes the abuse, but the fronts, so sticking with white will allow you can change any damaged fronts easily without worrying about matching issues and allow you the flexibility to change the style without changing the cabs...

For subbing out a job...

Elias Woodwork (free shipping over a certain amount and they also have RTA)
Conestoga Woods (also have RTA, but no free shipping)
Walzcraft (also have RTA but no free shipping)

All three also offer drawers, and face-frames and matching moldings...

Best of luck... 8^)
Thanks it's a high end rental that I just converted to condos and selling. What is rta?. Thanks again

·
Registered
Custom
13,767 Posts
Thanks it's a high end rental that I just converted to condos and selling. What is rta?. Thanks again
RTA is Ready To Assemble... they are pre-cut, etc. all you do is assemble them...

For a high-end rental, the concept is still the same... you'll want to choose materials that are easily replaced for the landlord you are selling it to. If it is being sold to an owner who is going to live there, that's different and your realtor should be able to help you with what is selling in your market.

Best of luck.. 8^)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you All. I really appreciate the time with replies. And I can't believe we all stayed on topic. Maybe the finish guys have less AD/D then the rest. ill post when done but it won't be for a few months.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
A note about RTA, which is a good idea. It's easy to think of it as just being Ikea, but the quality will be better, they'll be made to your custom sizes, and you have all kinds of good finishes and styles.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Thank you All. I really appreciate the time with replies. And I can't believe we all stayed on topic. Maybe the finish guys have less AD/D then the rest. ill post when done but it won't be for a few months.
A few months? Weren't you just talking smack about how long it's taking me?

They just gave up on picking a tile for the back splash and ALL of the light fixtures so it looks like I get to make yet another trip. 7500 miles of commuting so far....

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A few months? Weren't you just talking smack about how long it's taking me?

They just gave up on picking a tile for the back splash and ALL of the light fixtures so it looks like I get to make yet another trip. 7500 miles of commuting so far....
The new kitchen build: 3400sf house just in framed status . New Windows in about a month. Spray foam insulation. HVAC. Electric. Drywall. And so on. And so on. Im living elsewhere. E. Im just messing with ya.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The new kitchen build: 3400sf house just in framed status . New Windows in about a month. Spray foam insulation. HVAC. Electric. Drywall. And so on. And so on. Im living elsewhere. E. Im just messing with ya.
I know. I'm getting a little testy about how big a PITA this kitchen has become. I knew working on a 225 year old house was going to be a b!tch but the cab shipping was a nightmare and set me back three weeks(not WalzCrafts fault) and I had a $100k remodel to start. I was trying something new and doing inset doors which has been way more trouble than it's worth.

Depending on your timeline you might try one of my more successful techniques which was to order the two end cabinets a hair long and cut the top and bottom panels down for an exact fit(not a good idea if you're using drawers!). I used this to be able to have the cabs installed day after drywall was complete. I still had to wait for the door/drawer fronts but the countertop, backsplash and appliances were installed before the doors even arrived and the kitchen was functional almost immediately. If I'd waited to order everything after the drywall was done it would have been an empty room for four weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts