Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cabinet showroom. I have a cabinet designer, that has been with me now for almost 13 years.
I am pretty certain that she is designing for others privately and arranging the cabinet sale thru another showroom.
Not certain how to deal with this?
Need advice.
Thanks in advance.
JB

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,486 Posts
Or charge her double to use it and back charge her for past use.

·
Eater of sins.
Doer of...things...stuff...
5,098 Posts
Why don't you just ask her if she is?
If she is then maybe you can work out a deal with her to go independent and get her off the payroll. If she is a good designer then that may be beneficial to both of you.

It is a business that you are running, don't get emotional. Get or make new opportunities.

Andy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's interesting. She sees she can make more money by moonlighting or maybe your company isn't giving her enough work or not enough pay?

On the other hand, she is using your software and connections. I'm with Andy above: see if you can work out a deal w/ her (more money, more responsibilities, more freedom, etc). The fire first, ask questions later approach doesn't seem like the right thing to do with a motivated person.

Not everyone has to get paid by straight hourly pay. You can be creative and say "here's your base pay (as it already was) plus a cut of whatever you make above and beyond." Be as creative as you want. I'd personally WANT to keep this person is my first reaction. But that's just my take after two sentences describing problem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just ask her if that's whats happening. There's a wide range of things that could be going on. Did she use the software to design for a friend as a courtesy? OR is she using your tools, equipment and contacts to go behind your back and de facto start a side business. These 2 situations, from a ethical standpoint, are light years apart.

Also there are miles of possibilities in between.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Maybe a little sting operation is in order, just to see what actually happens. If she is doing side work, there's a chance she can siphon off some clients seeking "less expensive options" that you may not offer. Or maybe she's actually keeping it all completely separate.

On a countertop delivery last year, the installer let me know that he did side jobs and could give me better/quicker deals, and he was a full timer. The owner had a trusted overseer along with him, but installer had asked him to get something from the truck... and that gave him his chance to talk and whip out the phone to show pics.

I considered letting the owner know, but didn't know him well enough.

A tile showroom around here also had an issue. The salesman had guys working on the side. I couldn't send clients because I didn't trust him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe a little sting operation is in order, just to see what actually happens. If she is doing side work, there's a chance she can siphon off some clients seeking "less expensive options" that you may not offer. Or maybe she's actually keeping it all completely separate.

On a countertop delivery last year, the installer let me know that he did side jobs and could give me better/quicker deals, and he was a full timer. The owner had a trusted overseer along with him, but installer had asked him to get something from the truck... and that gave him his chance to talk and whip out the phone to show pics.

I considered letting the owner know, but didn't know him well enough.

A tile showroom around here also had an issue. The salesman had guys working on the side. I couldn't send clients because I didn't trust him.
There is a kitchen/tile/flooring showroom in my area I don't send people to for exactly that reason. They asked me to look at a couple jobs (to fix one and potentially do another.) I was informed by the designer that the owner of the shop expected a 10% referral fee (of the entire first floor remodel) and that it shouldn't be a big deal just charge it to the client. When I asked if she or I was going to tell the customer about the referral fee, they never called again.

·
Registered
14,950 Posts
Within the last 3 months;

My shop foreman had a friend who needed some drawers, asked if it was okay to do them after hours and how much he should charge for the material. I saw the 2 drawers the next day, small and made out of drops, told him to get some doughnut money. His mom needs some rollouts, asked if it was okay if he made them told me how much for material, Ashley was spraying clear, he asked if it was okay for her to spray the rollouts at the same time---sure. His mom will never see a bill for these rollouts. He was doing an install for one of our builds on the side (we don't install currently), asked if he could use some tools for it, of course, doughnuts...

Shop guy had a friend call, asked if he could make a shelf for her, he said he would, what size? She said she didn't know how to measure, he asked if he could take a drop of ply with him and the cordless track saw and a rail. I saw what came back---again, ended up a doughnut money job.

Without trust in who you have, you have nothing.

Yes, they eat a lot of doughnuts when I don't have time to bake.....

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the replies. I'm keeping tract of all that is being done right now.
I am thinking she is trying to sell the jobs that I do not want.
We are very busy...jobs scheduled thru the rest of this year.
She is paid a base salary and commission on cabinet sales. She does make a very nice income - would be hard for her to make the same elsewhere at least for awhile.
Been almost 13 years - she might be getting bored.

Thanks again for your comments.
jb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts