Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help with hazy thinking today.

I need to place an order for replacement kitchen doors. I already have the exact door width & height measurements, and noted a 1/2" overlay.

The site I'm working with offers 5/8" overlay hinges which I'd like to just order, if possible. (I have enough room for that.) What tweaks to my door width specs do I need to make? I can't seem to wrap my head around it today. For opposing doors (door pairs), I believe I add only 1/8" to the width to get my doors to meet properly....and add 1/4" to the width for the single doors (1/8" x 2). I think that's it, right? Thanks much.

Edit: Disregard this post. Got it sorted out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
5/8 " overlay is on each side and top and bottom.This is the overlay on the face frame.
Deduct accordingly.If you can't figure that out call someone else to do the job.\
Not trying to be a di##.Just the way it is.
Do you have a middle stile?If not there is no overlay to consider in the middle.Just the gap.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5/8 " overlay is on each side and top and bottom.This is the overlay on the face frame.
Deduct accordingly.If you can't figure that out call someone else to do the job.\
Not trying to be a di##.Just the way it is.
Do you have a middle stile?If not there is no overlay to consider in the middle.Just the gap.
Well that sure was helpful. Thanks a bunch!
:laughing:

It's done already. Just needed a caffeine jolt.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why you even trying to change the overlay?
Good question. I'm dealing with partial overlay doors for a home sale prep, and there's room "visually" on the face frame for that little bit of difference (1/2" vs. 5/8" works here)....and I can then include it in the same order (bores and hinge sets) as my doors. Not ideal, but it will work just fine for this job.....the existing doors were DIY 1/2" ply, by the way, still unfinished. (Why, I don't know.)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Drill them youself on site.
It's safer and less likely to have screw ups.
Why would you change the hinges anyway?

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drill them youself on site.
It's safer and less likely to have screw ups.
Why would you change the hinges anyway?
Another good question. Honestly...it's a project with some serious budget considerations. The old hinges are mounted on the front of the face frames. It will be easier to remove them, fill & stain the holes, and then use adjustable hinges. Not ideal, but you'd have to see the existing to understand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts