Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

c7 allow burgular alarm installations?

12893 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  hopsonj
Does the C7 license allow you to install burgular alarm systems? I know it does not allow fire alarm, but what about residential and commercial burgular alarms, that are monitored by commercial monitoring company?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Who are you, where are you, and what the heck is a C7?

Nice to meet you.
California Contractors License Class 7 (Low Voltage Electrical Contractor)

California C10 (Electrical Contractor)

Ask LicenseGuru on here...I have a C-10 license and the ACO permit. C-7 doing burgular alarm seems to be have to have a ACO license (Alarm Company Operator) issued by the California Dept of Consumer Affairs, Beareau of Security and Investigative Services) to sell, install or service Burgular Alarms, Fire Alarms can be serviced by a C-10 or California Life Safety Cert..most fire alarm guys are C-10 contractors..not C-7. The monitoring of Fire Alarms must be done by a UL listed monitoring station or there is major liability should a lawsuit commence.

Sounds like that C-7 is a cable or telephone wiring hack trying to be a electrician...
See less See more
You need a California Alarm License. Which is very difficult to get.

I know I see the same thing when those electrical guys try and wire a fire alarm system like an lighting grid! T-Taps, reversed polarity on horn circuits, putting the shield to each grounding screw in boxes. etc,etc:cry:
  • Like
Reactions: 1
What is a C7? answer for you

From Cali web site

Low-Voltage/Limited-Energy License: A statewide license is required for installation and maintenance of systems that do not exceed 91 volts. This license is classified as a C-7 license, a low-voltage systems contractors license.
In California you need a C7 (or a C10 which is better) and an ACO license which is easy to get.
Here is link to Cali lic dept

I believe you need a C10 or Just a C16 (fire only)
I can't post link, but below is part of it
Re: c7 and alarm systems

I researched this in depth w/ contracting board and alarm licenseing board. Final answer i got was, keep in mind as a home owner you dont need a license to install... ok, final answer i got was once you plug that phone line into a jack, that device now becomes a LIFE SAVING DEVICE...thats where the license's come into play. So you could always just assist the home owner w/ their install and let them plug in their own system and have them sign off on a
See less See more
A little bit of effort to go to the BSIS site will tell you what is needed to install burglar alarms.

You need either a C10 or a C7 contractors license in order to take the test and get an Alarm Company Operators License, and, the Alarm Company Qualified Managers license (ACQ). The test you take is actually the ACQ test.

So the deal is that you can't just be some guy walking down the street, or even worse, an ADT salesperson, who thinks it might be a good idea to get an ACO (alarm company operator) and an ACQ (Alarm company qualified managers license). You actually have to have a valid electrical contractors license either in "high voltage" which is C10 -- but pretty much covers everything, OR, low voltage + communication, which is the C7.

To install Fire Alarm Systems (not sprinkler), you need a C10. C10's often install 110vac Fire Alarm systems. But they can also install 24vac Fire Alarm Systems. In CA, there is a lot of pressure to have Fire Alarm installers/contractors also have a CA Fire and Life Safety Certification --- which is being lobbied hard by the unions. To get the certification you have to have X amount of hours of installation and go through an "apprentice" program --- which has a few options to it. It is a long and tedious process.

I have designed and sold a lot of commercial fire alarm systems. But nowadays, I hand that off to another C10 that I often work with because he has 30+ years experience doing it, and frankly, I have better things to do ( note: when my pal gets the fire job, he hires me to work with him, so it's a win/win).

On the other hand, I have installed quite a few residential fire systems that are part of the residential security system. The rules are not as strict here, and, there is rarely an inspection by the AHJ. The exception being if you are monitoring a residential sprinkler system.

Hopefully that answers the question. I have sent my ACO and ACQ study materials out to numerous folks who are hoping to take the test and pass it.

As a rule, those with little or no background in installing burglar alarms, CCTV, access, etc. usually don't pass the test. Those that don't understand basic electrical fundamentals, low voltage circuitry and terminology also don't pass the test. I also find that those folks looking for easy answers or have someone else tell them the answers that ONLY research, studying and experience teach you rarely pass.
See less See more
CA C10 vs Alarm Operator License

From the CA CSLB:
"C10 - Electrical Contractor, California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.

Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)"

From that text it would seem that having a C10 would make an alarm operator license unnecessary. Though I'm sure both agencies want your fees.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
See less See more
A C7 or C10 can not install alarm systems without holding an ACO license. Just about anyone (including ADT door-to-door salesmen) can apply and obtain an ACO license. The catch is that they need to hire or become an ACQM, in order to run the business. To become an ACQM you need verification of 2000 hours of burglary alarm experience, signed off by a licensed ACQM. I hold a C7, ACO & ACQM in California.
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.