Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are predicting that it could make landfall as a Cat 5.

It takes 72 hours for New Orleans to evacuate. They will be feeling tropical storm winds as early as 10 pm tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ProWallGuy said:
Guess I should pop some popcorn and watch the weather channel.
Might be some entertaining stuff. :Thumbs:
Thats what I am doing!! :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The part that I like best is watching the idiot reporters who think that standing in the middle of the thing makes for better reporting. Someones going to get killed one of these days, maybe during a 'live shot'. Freakin' morons.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Did you see all the crap on NO and the aquifer a few years ago?

Scientist predict a 10 foot tidal surge could wipe the whole city out. Something about soil deterioration and the Mississippi silt fill. Crap would be falling in on itself. They said damage would easily reach the billions.

I'd get out of town.
Run Forest Run!

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I was just looking at it. This could be the BIG one.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I knew a braud named Katrina once, couldn't think of a better name for our seaward friend. She told me construction was a noble profession, I think the chic was lost.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woke up this morning and it is now a Cat 5.

This could be worse then Andrew.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
This IS the BIG one! Check out the satellite shots, it covers the entire Gulf of Mexico. We had over an inch of rain this morning from the feeder bands.
They're talking about a 20-30 ft. surge and 30-40 ft waves!
It's not even near shore and the water is very warm, it still has room to grow.
You could be watching history. I'll be watching 'Idiot Jim' on TWC.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Yeah, this is a SERIOUS storm. I hope all you guys along the gulf are preparing your homes and getting the frick outta dodge NOW! I just hope this bad boy doesn't do the loop and come back across Florida like some have done. If it does that it's coming directly towards me in Jax. My thoughts are allready with those in the affected areas. This is no joke. A lot of people now stand to lose EVERYTHING they have. Forget Andrew....this one is going to make that look like a sun shower. :eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Slickshift's post notes a minimum pressure of 904 mb. Hurricane Camille, the secomd most intense hurricane in US history, registered 909 mb at landfall. The most intense hurricane in US history, an unamed event in 1935, regisitered a minimum pressure of 892 mb.
This hurricane is strong-though I'm optimistic it'll spare The Big Easy a direct hit.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rich, it better start turning fast. It looks like a centerpunch to me. If it goes west, that could even be worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The special on CNN is now saying that it could be the worst to hit the US. The roads out of New Orleans look like absolute mayhem. They are saying that the storm surge, rain, and winds could cause chemicals and oil to spill and cause more problems. Its going to be a duesy!!

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Yeah, and they're already saying that this could drive the price of gasoline even higher. That's all we need.

I'm predicting a lot of work for tradespeople in the delta area for a little while.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Yea, I'm thinking of firing up the ol flatbed, hitching up the utility trailer.......................and going the other way!:cheesygri

uh? Work?

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If any of you come across information about how one can go and help with the disaster relief, please post links. I'm thinking a week off helping others would do me well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts