Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Someone probably got tired of resetting it, and bypassed it to stop what they considered nuisance calls. Could have been caused by a dirty evap coil, air filter, or other mechanical problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's definitely on my list, I'll replace it/get it replaced this summer if I can obtain the part affordably. First priority is the buzzy gas valve-- I presume buzzing means functional failure is on the horizon and I'd like to beat it to the punch. Not sure if I can just replace the coil or if the whole valve has to be replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's an excellent point.

It appears that the gas valve is connected exclusively to the electronic pilot control, which is fed through the heat relay and R/24vAC. Is it as simple as checking the gas valve terminals for 24vAC?

I'm inclined to suspect it's the gas valve itself because everything (else) is functioning perfectly. I would ASSUME (never a good idea) that if something else was failing, i.e. the pilot control, some other symptoms would occur i.e. a weak pilot light. Also the buzz is quite loud, I've never had that particular symptom from low voltage before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPMJhWnS9P0

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can do that tomorrow.

I dont suppose you have an idea of the part cost for that valve? The unit is Trane SFCB-B503-HA Type 168-299-1-A serial C80K-04752

Thanks so much for all your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Something I didnt think of last night:

On the other two identical units, the FLC control connects to the FTDR. On this unit, there are no terminals on the FTDR for it to connect to. If I were to reconnect it, I would have to splice it in, or get those one-to-two spade terminal connectors. Odd that there's not even a place to connect it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts