Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good website or resource for buying gun nails in bulk. I'm fed up paying retail, with HD charging 90 bucks for a box of galvanized pasloads.

I'm open to any brand, I just want to stock up and save.

Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Find a local place that specializes in fasteners. I have several here to choose from, but I have stuck with the same one for almost 20 years. Even if I am only buying a single box, their prices are at least 35% lower than Depot or Lowes. They also genrally do tool repair, so often it kills two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try these guys.

Scroll down, several in Michigan.

As Warren said check for any local guys...:thumbsup:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations/all

I've seen quite a few fastenal stores around, but never stopped in.... Do you have to wheel and deal there? because I just checked their online prices against HD and Fastenal is like 4 times the cost on all the nails I checked. Even the same brand.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I've seen quite a few fastenal stores around, but never stopped in.... Do you have to wheel and deal there? because I just checked their online prices against HD and Fastenal is like 4 times the cost on all the nails I checked. Even the same brand.

I used to shop at Fastenal the same way I did for other materials.

Give them a list of what you want & have them quote it.

They weren't always the cheapest but they had great service.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I use Gotham staple co. they are just a few miles from my house. To be honest I really have never compared prices on any guns and fastners I've bought. The guy that runs the location by me is a great guy, so if the prices are a little higher it dosent matter to me. He gives the personalized service you don't get a the big boxes.

It looks like they may ship, here is the site.

http://www.gothamstaple.com/

Dave

·
Registered
541 Posts
The problem is the weight makes it a hard deal to ship and still be competitive. Framing nails weigh around nine pounds per thousand, so unless you are buying like a pallet of them, there's not going to be anyone who can discount them cheap enough to overcome the cost of shipping them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is the weight makes it a hard deal to ship and still be competitive. Framing nails weigh around nine pounds per thousand, so unless you are buying like a pallet of them, there's not going to be anyone who can discount them cheap enough to overcome the cost of shipping them.
If I could get them at half price what the lumber yard or hd charge I would buy a pallet.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Have you asked the lumberyard what they would charge for pallet quantities?

I've found most discounts start with an inquiry;)

·
Registered
Remodel
31,141 Posts

·
632 Posts
The framing contractor I worked for in the late 90's bought nails from a company called Modern Staple. They delivered to the job site, they also did tool repair.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
home depots a ripoff when it comes to gun nails.. be it for the framing gun or finish gun... i buy my air spikes from teh lumberyard, buying Topgun brand.

the topgun nails and spikes are about 25% cheaper before the discount. plus they dont jamb up our hitachi guns like the paslodes do

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you have the capital and room to store. Buy by the pallet. I generally buy 3+ at a time and get a large discount on price. For comparison last skid of strip nails was under a third of the cost vs hd. Sucks spending 10k in fasteners but the discounts are worth it.

·
Pro
183 Posts
For many years I bought 3-4 pallets a year through a local lumberyard, 96 boxes per pallet, roughly $1700 at a shot.
Those prices are only a memory now, as I'm paying about 23 a box 10 at a time for 3 1/4" x .131
I downsized about 8 years ago and don't go through the nails like I used to!

Thank God!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Fastenall tends to be expensive for nails but really good on threaded fasteners

1 - 19 of 19 Posts