Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbourhood lumberyard (not a big box) has their moulding on for 25% off right now. Their regular price on crown is already less than 1/2 of HD.

I got 600' today, and probably will pick up another 1000' before their sale ends.

I've never done that before, but I've saved a lot of money. I know that I will use up that much and more before next January. I don't want to go hog wild however, it's an educated guess as to how much to purchase.

Do you guys buy materials on spec?

one caveat: my wife isn't so thrilled about the crown sitting in the (finished/heated) basement :D it's too darned cold and damp to store it in my garage.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Mrmac204 said:
My neighbourhood lumberyard (not a big box) has their moulding on for 25% off right now. Their regular price on crown is already less than 1/2 of HD. I got 600' today, and probably will pick up another 1000' before their sale ends. I've never done that before, but I've saved a lot of money. I know that I will use up that much and more before next January. I don't want to go hog wild however, it's an educated guess as to how much to purchase. Do you guys buy materials on spec? one caveat: my wife isn't so thrilled about the crown sitting in the (finished/heated) basement :D it's too darned cold and damp to store it in my garage.
Depends what it is. Millwork prob wouldn't be one of them though. I have baseboards and crown that has sat around for a few months and its all out of shape now and heading for the trash in a few days. some materials I would do this with if I had the room though. Currently I don't though.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Did it once with OSB. I ended up using it all before the next storm hit and still. Had to pay ridiculous prices for OSB.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
BamBamm5144 said:
I've done with synthetic roofing underlayments. Order a pallet and get a couple hundred off.
I'd consider that bulk buying for discounts, not spec buying.

If you thought the underlayment was going to up 100% in cost soon and you bought at the low price, that is speculating on the underlayment product.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
slowsol said:
I'd consider that bulk buying for discounts, not spec buying. If you thought the underlayment was going to up 100% in cost soon and you bought at the low price, that is speculating on the underlayment product.
Touché.

Prices do increase about 4 times a year though.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
slowsol said:
Did it once with OSB. I ended up using it all before the next storm hit and still. Had to pay ridiculous prices for OSB.
I had one time figured out to buy 6 semi loads of osb and had a place to store it. I was ready to drop the cash and then got cold feet . Something felt off. That was in 06. Then in 07 the new construction work slowed and in 08 it died. If I bought all that I would have taken a huge loss as the material dropped in price around here.

But back in the early 80's osb was at a $1 a sheet. My dad had made plans to buy something like 600,000 sheets . My mom vetoed it and that spring went to $3 a sheet and never came down. I

I could have been a trust fund brat instead of a carpenter

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
I would not buy anything like trim where humidity/dampness could ruin the entire lot.
Profiles can change, crown can absorb moisture and dry out after install and give you big headaches.

I know of a building where all millwork was purchased almost a year in advance, over a mile of crown molding and baseboard. Dried out after install, 1/2" gaps this winter at scarf joints. Huge gaps along walls and corners, now being sued by tenants association for 3x replacement cost.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I'll stock up about thirty days worth of supplies. Beyond that I think you're asking for trouble. Good business practice is 'just in time' inventory. Yes you may miss out on some inflationary savings but those costs get passed along to the consumer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
when copper was about to go up 200-300% around 6 years ago I bought $10,000 worth...I never did a new house in copper again and that copper took 3 years to use up..it was starting to turn green and I had a very hard time sanding it

I wouldn't buy anything that you wont use up in 1 year

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
huggytree said:
when copper was about to go up 200-300% around 6 years ago I bought $10,000 worth...I never did a new house in copper again and that copper took 3 years to use up..it was starting to turn green and I had a very hard time sanding it I wouldn't buy anything that you wont use up in 1 year
You plan on using the material you bought only to find out that the trend turned the other way. If a person could figure out where it was going to go, they could become very rich.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I bought a semi load of coil framing nails once for a buck a box. They were from a lumber yard that went out of business. Man did think I was smart. Only problem was all the work I thought I had disappeared overnight and was losing my 8,000 square foot barn because of divore. I ended up hauling the to the road for the scrap guy to take. No one uses coil nailers around here. I still got 8 boxes or so of gav nails left from 06.what a waste. Every time I try and think ahead , I lose.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have and made good money off of it...but I also have crap that's been sitting here because it was such a "great deal" all in all I think I've gotten caught with my pants down more often than not...

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I buy bulk in white gutter coil, soffit, corners, etc. Try to keep all those items in stock all the time. The savings isn't huge but always having helps.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My neighbourhood lumberyard (not a big box) has their moulding on for 25% off right now. Their regular price on crown is already less than 1/2 of HD.

I got 600' today, and probably will pick up another 1000' before their sale ends.

I've never done that before, but I've saved a lot of money. I know that I will use up that much and more before next January. I don't want to go hog wild however, it's an educated guess as to how much to purchase.

Do you guys buy materials on spec?

one caveat: my wife isn't so thrilled about the crown sitting in the (finished/heated) basement :D it's too darned cold and damp to store it in my garage.
edit: I'm into it for $380. if I have no customers at all this year, I can use it in my own house. The previous HO installed all the crown upside down, and did a disaster on every corner.
Been bugging my wife, how can I be a trim guy and look at that mess every day? she says you pay for it, put it up and paint it. :D I think I bitc#$% too much LOL

worst case, I've lost $380, but as I said my basement is heated/finished so I don't think the crown will warp. MDF material.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts