Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about ready for a new to me van, I’m sick of working out of a mini van, it’s over 268k and I think I have some more repairs coming soon. I’m hearing people saying not to buy right now with used vehicle prices out of sight and I see what they’re saying but my thinking is if I need a van for my business I need a van for my business and the extra cost just needs to be added to my overhead and passed on to my customers. Sure I might be able to save a few bucks waiting but I can’t wait forever and there’s no telling when prices might come down. Am I thinking about this right? I am probably going to take out a loan, the cash I have isn’t going to go far right now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could offer advice. I'm in the same situation, although a much lower mileage loaded Toyota Sienna mini-van. I think Ford Transit production started back up the beginning of the year. Hopefully they catch up and all the used car dealers who think their seven year old 150,000+ mile vans should sell more than used go belly-up. My other hope is that companies have been holding onto their vans longer due to the shortage and will unload once replacements are readily available.
Yeah pricing is absolutely insane right now, I’m seeing vehicles with way over 200k miles for $15k plus

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Microchips.

My mom ordered an Explorer hybrid beginning of the year. Still not in production. Hybrid motor shortage.

The lockdowns in Michigan and Canada made a mess of logistics for the v6.

The trucker protest blocking the Ambassador Bridge didn't help, but I still support what they did.

Atlas is shrugging.
So I’m not the only one getting Ayn Rand vibes from this whole thing

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just bought a 2017 Transit 250 medium roof with 77k km.... for $60k Canadian. Needed a second van to keep productivity up and it was the best I could find over 6 months of looking.

I paid $40k for my 2017 250 high roof with 40k km 3 years ago

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
In 2018 I bought a 2017 high roof transit 250 with 64k miles for $27k, in immaculate condition. Seems like now $27k won’t even get a transit with under 200k miles, I just missed out on one for $20k, 2015 155k miles, cracked windshield, busted turbo charger big dent in the back and that was a deal. I saw another one for $17k and it had 250k miles on it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts