Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about ready for a new to me van, I’m sick of working out of a mini van, it’s over 268k and I think I have some more repairs coming soon. I’m hearing people saying not to buy right now with used vehicle prices out of sight and I see what they’re saying but my thinking is if I need a van for my business I need a van for my business and the extra cost just needs to be added to my overhead and passed on to my customers. Sure I might be able to save a few bucks waiting but I can’t wait forever and there’s no telling when prices might come down. Am I thinking about this right? I am probably going to take out a loan, the cash I have isn’t going to go far right now.

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
412 Posts
Wish I could offer advice. I'm in the same situation, although a much lower mileage loaded Toyota Sienna mini-van. I think Ford Transit production started back up the beginning of the year. Hopefully they catch up and all the used car dealers who think their seven year old 150,000+ mile vans should sell more than used go belly-up. My other hope is that companies have been holding onto their vans longer due to the shortage and will unload once replacements are readily available.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could offer advice. I'm in the same situation, although a much lower mileage loaded Toyota Sienna mini-van. I think Ford Transit production started back up the beginning of the year. Hopefully they catch up and all the used car dealers who think their seven year old 150,000+ mile vans should sell more than used go belly-up. My other hope is that companies have been holding onto their vans longer due to the shortage and will unload once replacements are readily available.
Yeah pricing is absolutely insane right now, I’m seeing vehicles with way over 200k miles for $15k plus

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I’m about ready for a new to me van, I’m sick of working out of a mini van, it’s over 268k and I think I have some more repairs coming soon. I’m hearing people saying not to buy right now with used vehicle prices out of sight and I see what they’re saying but my thinking is if I need a van for my business I need a van for my business and the extra cost just needs to be added to my overhead and passed on to my customers. Sure I might be able to save a few bucks waiting but I can’t wait forever and there’s no telling when prices might come down. Am I thinking about this right? I am probably going to take out a loan, the cash I have isn’t going to go far right now.
The probability vehical prices will drop in the future is very low new or used. China is dead set in taking Taiwan and then eventually Japan in retaliation for what they did in 1939. Taiwan manufactures 90% of the world's supply of high end microchips. These are used in vehicles.

If you need a vehicle for the business, you need one. Overhead pays for the vehicals. Jobs pay overhead. No one knows better than you what you need or when you need it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Strange times brother. There isn't a good solution here unfortunately. We ended up having to replace the wife's SUV a few weeks ago due to hitting a deer and writing it off. Found an 09 in good shape for a reasonable price. Couldn't stomach the cost of something newer.

Some might disagree but being able to spin a wrench can prove to be very valuable. My truck is 17 years old, tows a heavy trailer every day. I take care of it, it takes care of me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
594 Posts
That is wild. We’ve crossed a threshold where a vehicle is now an appreciating asset
Everyone wants to live in interesting times until things get interesting. :D

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
I'm in the market for something used, as well. Had to unload the Suburban. I'm back and forth between truck and minivan, but the minivan makes more sense. It seems to strike the right balance for parking, mpg, etc... and I rent a truck when needed.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
If you can find one you're better off buying new there are dealers trying to sell above MSRP. I have a 2019 Transit and my dealer keeps offering more than what I paid new but where is my new one? The quality control is horrible on the 2020's and 2021's due to covid I could have waited for the 2020's there were reasons I didn't and it turned to be a smart move.

Good used cargo vans are getting harder to come by, I was lucky with my last 2 but I'm done with the used car market I've worked on them all my life it's nice to get a break. Although I already had to replace rear brakes on my Transit at 21k. My wife's cars are leased don't have to do anything on them.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Good luck, if you need a van you need a van. Don’t rule out new.
I think the way to look at it is, inflated prices are not going way soon and your needs won’t change either.
We’ve been looking at Ford expeditions.

Different truck, but same type of deal.

For a while, used trucks were more than new.

With the recent rising gas prices, big trucks have come down in price a little bit.

Wife is looking at building one via Costco. Looks like 5 to 7 grand cheaper than the dealership. You might see what they have available.

Still, 70 grand is a lot for a truck that wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I looked for a used one last year, like usual. Gave up. I just went and bought a new one instead, used prices are stupid right now, much higher value buying new at the moment.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Strange times brother. There isn't a good solution here unfortunately. We ended up having to replace the wife's SUV a few weeks ago due to hitting a deer and writing it off. Found an 09 in good shape for a reasonable price. Couldn't stomach the cost of something newer.

Some might disagree but being able to spin a wrench can prove to be very valuable. My truck is 17 years old, tows a heavy trailer every day. I take care of it, it takes care of me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I used to feel the same, until I was doing more repairing than working.

My last truck went down almost monthly near the end of it's life.

The engine blew on the highway, and that was pretty much the end of that.

·
Builder
34,298 Posts
I have 2019 Bighorn with 22,000 miles on it. The dealer is offering $ 5,000 more than I paid for the truck in 2019. That tells you all you need to know.

I got 3k more for my 2019 dually last year wirh 89k miles than I paid brand new

16k Delta between a brand new truck I took it.

·
Registered
GC / over qualified handyman
648 Posts
We’ve been looking at Ford expeditions.

Different truck, but same type of deal.

For a while, used trucks were more than new.

With the recent rising gas prices, big trucks have come down in price a little bit.

Wife is looking at building one via Costco. Looks like 5 to 7 grand cheaper than the dealership. You might see what they have available.

Still, 70 grand is a lot for a truck that wears out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're gonna order new, get ready to wait.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts