Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer just picked up a wrecked pickup, a 2013 Chevy 1500 4x4 with crew cab a good bit of options, and only 15,000 miles.

It will be completely repaired, but will have a salvage title.

I can buy it for $17,000 which is well below book for a clean title, but I do not know how the value is effected by the salvage title. I hear that the factory warranty will be voided, and I have no idea what happens with the insurance coverage.

Any thoughts? worth the risk?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
not worth it, plenty of used trucks out there to be had without a salvaged title...

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
It's junk.

Wait until you try and sell it....

also could be a myriad of problems should you get in a wreck & need repairs.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
Actually, you can get a rebuilt title for it so it won't be a salvaged title anymore. Then the value is the same as it always was, or close enough to it..
But it depends on how you plan to use it. I tend to keep truck until there not worth anything. So if you plan on keeping it for 125k miles then there is no problems with it.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
Every state is different regarding insurance on it. I know who buy them and keep them until they are dust. Great way to save money but as you said no warranty and limited if any collision coverage until it gets inspected by ins co for rebuilt title.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,572 Posts
Depends on a lot of things, including whether the accident / salvage title show up on a Carfax.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
All we had growing up when your dad is a mechanic. He could buy cheap late model wrecks and we would get a really nice car for cheap.

Wouldn't bother me in the least.
I agree and I've rebuilt wrecks too, but there's no way I'd spend 17k for one, unless I had all the pieces in stock to put it back together. Even then I'd have to think about it.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,572 Posts
All we had growing up when your dad is a mechanic. He could buy cheap late model wrecks and we would get a really nice car for cheap.

Wouldn't bother me in the least.
To me, it depends on who does the rebuild. A Dad who is going to be driving his family around in it is going to do it right, end of story.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
check with your insurance agent, before buying.

I believe it voids the warrantee from factory.

Not a big deal to me.

I've bought two vehicles to make one.
just not a salvage title, so not sure.
Insurance co will have the answers for you

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
No problem with it AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING. You're not buying new.

A friend of mine has a business where he buys cars with salvaged titles and makes them "look" new. They're not.

I'm not sure if he puts the air bags back, etc. I know when he's done, they "look" great.

But, if you know what you're buying and a are ok with it, you could save a good bit of money on a basically very, very low millage car.

My friend only buys high end: Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc that have been in floods, rolled, wrecked, etc.

And some trucks too

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I had a triumph bike with a salvage title, having them fall over will make it a salvage bike quick depending on the bike, mine had a scratch in the frame,

Bought it with 7,000 mikes for 2700 sold it at 20,000 for 3 grand.

My x90 has a salvage title as well, bought it for 2500 with 50,thou on it and now it's 70,s on it

Best car I've ever owned, other than brakes that car is trouble free and it sits a lot due to it being a 2 seater thought I was a empty nester for a second there but that wasn't meant to be!

I would say if you can't figure out what happened how they fixed it pass.

I looked and rode both, they were both good to go and still are as of today,

If you have too fix it that's the part you need to be careful with as it could make it too expensive!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
If you're gonna drive it into the ground, the title won't make much of a difference..

It's just the resale/trade that is affected.

Like Warner, My dad always built our vehicles from salvage... No problems with it from me:rolleyes:

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
What's the reason for the salvage title? Cosmetic, frame, flood? Unless it was flooded, I wouldn't have a problem with a salvaged vehicle.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
main thing is your insurance co....most wont do more then liability on a salvage. Other then that resale is lower.

ALOT of cars that run thru the used car auctions should have salvage titles but people traded them in instead of claiming insurance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts