Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm purchasing my first house and plan on re doing all the trim, plus finish the basement. I don't need anything fancy, just want something to do this plus something I can take to work occasionally when doing 6" vinyl millwork base.

We've always cut the 6" millwork base laying flat but I would like a saw capable of cutting wood base up to 4 1/2" vertically against the fence.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I understand your present needs. But, it may be beneficial to consider your future needs as well.

If your going to shell out a few hundred bucks for a miter saw, just think about going to sliding.

I've had so many. I have a little 10", compound Hitachi that is light and portable for small, quick jobs. But I also have the DeWalt sliding 12" with the DeWalt stand for bigger, more involved jobs.

I used to own the DW715, it's heavy and big. I sold that when I bought the sliding. The Hitachi is a great little saw and was cheap too: <$150.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I understand your present needs. But, it may be beneficial to consider your future needs as well.

If your going to shell out a few hundred bucks for a miter saw, just think about going to sliding.

I've had so many. I have a little 10", compound Hitachi that is light and portable for small, quick jobs. But I also have the DeWalt sliding 12" with the DeWalt stand for bigger, more involved jobs.

I used to own the DW715, it's heavy and big. I sold that when I bought the sliding. The Hitachi is a great little saw and was cheap too: <$150.

42lbs is heavy? :blink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning forwards the DW715. I would like a model that supports the LED attachment though, so who's got one for sale?! ;)

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
42lbs is heavy? :blink:
My Hitachi is 26 lbs. It may just be me, but I prefer the lightest tools possible without sacrificing quality. I hate lugging heavy tools, saws, compressors, whatever - ESPECIALLY, at the end of the day.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
My Hitachi is 26 lbs. It may just be me, but I prefer the lightest tools possible without sacrificing quality. I hate lugging heavy tools, saws, compressors, whatever - ESPECIALLY, at the end of the day.
yeah I like less weight too, but the OP wanted something that could cut 4-1/2" against the fence, so your 10" hitachi is out of the equation... :blink:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
yeah I like less weight too, but the OP wanted something that could cut 4-1/2" against the fence, so your 10" hitachi is out of the equation... :blink:
That's why I also mentioned the sliding. It's more money, but I think he'll be happier with it in the long run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Justin Huisenga said:
DW716 supports the light module and cuts up to 6 1/2" base in position. With a tune up and a quality full kerf blade it is a very accurate saw.
Do all types of the DW716 support the LED attachment or just various ones like the other DeWalt saws? If so, I may fork out the extra cash although the dual bevel feature isn't a necessity to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
Do all types of the DW716 support the LED attachment or just various ones like the other DeWalt saws? If so, I may fork out the extra cash although the dual bevel feature isn't a necessity to me.

you say that now but once you use it a few times you will wonder why they make miter saws that do not dual bevel

·
Registered
16,403 Posts

Some do and some don't. From what i know they have a version spec for them saw's. as an example type1 type2 type3. The light only fits certain versions. i cant remember of the top of my head which it is though. type1 sounds right but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Every saw I have seen in the box stores of late has the wire chase for it. I believe it was discontinued on the Type 20 but appears to be back. Just check the saw before you buy it.

The ability to bevel both ways is far more valuable than you think it will be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the dual bevel is a great feature, but I just don't think it's worth it as the saw I buy will sit in my basement or garage more then it will be used. I do Millwork base on the job maybe 15 times a year so after I redo the trim in my house it will be used very infrequently. Single bevel and non-sliding will be just fine for what I'll be using the saw for in my opinion. So unless I stumble upon a great deal for the DW716, I'm 99% certain I'll be picking up the DW715.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
milwaukee.. it goes on sale regurly at home depot and is more powerful than the dewalts i.e doesnt bog down in pine like the dewalts do

1 - 20 of 31 Posts