Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I saw a Case 580C used backhoe on machinerytrader, seller is DJD Associates.
It is listed at $5900 and said to be ''well-maintained'' with only 4,000 hours.
It has turf tires, not industrial, but that's not a problem to me.

I offered to drive down to Boston to see the machine, but they responded that ''their profit is so low on this machine that the time to show it to me isn't worth it'', and that they just want to ''put it in a container and ship it'', they wouldn't bother to show it to me first...

The price may be low, but buying over the phone seems like suicide to me... If I'll take 10 hours of my time to drive to Boston and back, and they can't take a half-hour to meet me?????

Any of you people ever dealt with DJD?

·
Stud
605 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything unless I saw it first hand. If they aren't willing to show it to you after you drive 10 hrs. I'd tell them to go screw.

My friend bought a 69 camaro for $20,000 online just looking at pics. Paid $800 to ship & he was happy when he got it. I showed it to my brother in law & he pointed out 5 things that were done half [email protected]@ when they refurbished it. Didn't want to see my friend disappointed so I never told him.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I saw a Case 580C used backhoe on machinerytrader...It is listed at $5900 and said to be ''well-maintained'' with only 4,000 hours...It has turf tires...I offered to drive down to Boston to see the machine, but they responded...that the time to show it to me isn't worth it'', and that they just want to ''put it in a container and ship it''
1. Unless you're OK with owning it on a "parts" basis don't buy it unseen.
2. If you want to see it tell them when you'll be there with a check in hand.
3. If they don't bite on your offer to come with a check in hand see #1.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think his point is they wont take time out of their schedule to show it to him/anyone.
That's the case. (no pun intended) I don't mind driving down there, but the the lady at DJD says the year's been tough, they're trying to ship 15 machines outta the US before Christmas, they're tired, etc.

So, like Pipeguy says, maybe I'll call Monday, say I can be in Boston Wednesday PM with my Visa ready, and if that doesn't work we'll see in January.

Unless some of you guys would know DJD for being trustworthy, I'd be plain crazy to buy without seeing. $5900 is still too much if it's a piece of junk!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Word to the wise. Be careful dealing with these guys. I'm from Mass. I have tried buying equipment from them before. Had heard of some unethical business practices.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's the case. (no pun intended) I don't mind driving down there, but the the lady at DJD says the year's been tough, they're trying to ship 15 machines outta the US before Christmas, they're tired, etc.

So, like Pipeguy says, maybe I'll call Monday, say I can be in Boston Wednesday PM with my Visa ready, and if that doesn't work we'll see in January.

Unless some of you guys would know DJD for being trustworthy, I'd be plain crazy to buy without seeing. $5900 is still too much if it's a piece of junk!
The year has probably been tough becuse they made it that way.. Their to tired to meet with you?

I would move on or tell them that when they are serious to call you back.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Word to the wise. Be careful dealing with these guys. I'm from Mass. I have tried buying equipment from them before. Had heard of some unethical business practices.
Thanks! Enough said. I'll pass on it unless they agree to let me see the machine.
I won't even risk driving down there unless I'm sure they'll actually let me try it.

·
Contractor
7,328 Posts
Sounds almost like an ebay scam.

I would stay away from it.

Now then, if you might be in the market for a 580 Super E w/extendahoe, I happen to have one available. Not that cheap but....hey it's not a C.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tom!

I'm definitely going to have to stick to a C cause I'm on a tight budget.
By the way, DJD quoted me $1500 for transport of their 580C to my location, which is roughly 300 miles. That's not cheap!
Plus, I learned yesterday that I would have to pay local Provincial sales tax on top of the 6% Canada import duty, so on the bottom line DJD's backhoe is not such a wonderful deal for me.

So, I'm back shopping within Canada, and I just found a pretty decent 580C in my own province... gonna see it after Christmas.
Owner says it has the Cummins engine even though it's a ''C'', because the original engine was stolen at one time...

How does the Cummins compare to the older 207 Case engine in terms of reliability?

·
Contractor
7,328 Posts
The Cummins engine is very good, reliable. No problems with the one I have.

My question is how/why does someone steal an engine? Easier to take the whole machine.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,598 Posts
My friend bought a 'restored' 53 chevy sight unseen and was about 50 miles down the road after picking it up when it died. He popped the hood, looked at the carb, and it fell apart. Things went downhill from there. If you can't see it and inspect it don't buy it.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If it is the company that I think they are they are a private equipment finance company. Do a search on them. Possibly a repo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Cummins engine is very good, reliable. No problems with the one I have.

My question is how/why does someone steal an engine? Easier to take the whole machine.

Actually, this is what happened. The seller says he bought the backhoe without an engine, (probably at a good price!) and bought an engine to put in.
The previous owner had his backhoe stolen, and when the police found it the engine had been removed.
I guess it's just like for cars: parts are harder to trace then the whole thing...

Merry Christmas to you all!:party:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts