·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOOOO, :eek:
after buying my 2008; 260 Ingersoll Rand from a well known dealer
with only 850 hours.

I now have 2500 hours on the unit.
I've fixed a lot on this thing and have always thought what a piece of S^*@! this is,

BUT after having my starter go, the guy that rebuilt it for me informed me that the one that I took off is a remand starter. (and I've never done it since I bought it!)
Plus - the arm that holds up the muffler was cracked on the bottom. no big deal it happens, till I put in the two bolts that fell out, and one was stripped out... and I have never worked on it before, so it wasn't me.

now I'm looking back at all the repairs that I've done and I'm lead to believe that it was used by the previous owner hard, and a lot of hours, then cleaned up after 2 years, hour meter changed or unhooked while using, and traded in for a new one.

I don't even think the dealer even knew it.

most compressors will go 2000 to 3000 before needing major parts.
hell, my old Leroy's had over 4000 to 6000 hours before needing major repairs.

list of some things I've replaced:

Drive couplings at lest 4 now
turbo
starter
Alternator
water pump
radiator housing and tank
control panel
exhaust and muffler

Be careful of what you buy... :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I feel for you Jim, you just can't trust anybody anymore. When looking for my first compressor, I learned never to trust the hours meter on anything. I've seen compressors with 600 hours and were probably pushing 6000 just because of the amount of damage, rust, non-original parts, and cobbled up this or that.

Have been looking for a forklift for some time now and I just don't believe the meter on half of them either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cheap is expensive. A lot of times its better to just buy new.
True in some cases but keep in mind that a new compressor that is the minimum size we use are about $25K and the size we need to use for good production start around $45K.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not mad because I have to work on the compressor
I paid a good price for it, and even with the repairs cost it's still not
Up to the cost of a new one....
Every thing breaks at some point, but knowing what you are buying and
what you think your buying are Two different things.
It's just very disappointing loosing days of work when the sun is out.
Just as a note, this thing was clean, no rust looked good.
I've been around diesels all my life, so I wasn't walking in as my first one.
And like I said even the dealer missed it. Some parts was still under warranty.
I guess, if it was my old compressor, I expect to fix things, you know it's going to break at some point.
Buy when you buy something that's on the new side, I was hoping to get a little more out of it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I try to buy used equipment from the government when possible, at least the tech has no reason to hide things as it's not his money.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Ive had better luck with larger purchases of used equipment. I paid half retail for all my sanding equipment and havent been burned yet. Run it for three years then sell it again for half retail. That extends the return on initial investment. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our company purchased a used 185 comp. from Ahern Rentals. I looked for 2 months before deciding on the unit we purchased. I thought I would be buying one from Ritchie Bro. but didn't work out. It had 1850 hours on the meter and yes, the unit looked used, but basically sound. I will say that I worked for Ahern previously and knew that they had a great maintenance program on all their equipment. I asked to see the maintenance records and they were in order. They were very reasonable. It was a 2005 Atlas Copco. Paid $4295.00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts