Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use an insulation blower around 10-15 times per year. Is it time for me to think about buying my own? Renting does not cost any money, always free use of machine if insulation is bought.

Only prob is usally the machines are pita to use. A lot of jams and everytime I use I have to mess around with hoses and controlls trying to get it to work correctly. Figure I waste 30-60 min every job. Plus I got to pick up and drop off, that is extra time also. Id say prob total of 2.5 hrs every time we rent

I have 3 differant places I get it from. Lowes (my last choice) and two local lumber yards. All places seem to have junk for machines

I have not looked into pricing on buying one yet, figure they are going to be a lot more then I want to spend.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,288 Posts
It's pretty hard to beat free. If you plan on doing drill and fill, I think there is an actual Force3 rental somewhere in the state (don't remember where). Blowers are very expensive (3K and up, if I recall)- even the used ones on Craigslist.

Technique has a lot to do with whether you get plugging or not, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah technique does have a lot to do with it plugging yet sometimes no matter what we do it still happens. I knew they were expensive but if you add up the 3-4 hours we are wasting everytime it might make sence. Lets just say, for easy math, I rent it 10 times a year with an average of 3 hours wasted per job. Thats over a hundred bucks a wack. Over a grand a year. Maybe I am putting too much thought into it and should just roll with the problamatic freebees!

·
Registered
Remodel
32,288 Posts
2 guys, 4 fours, 10 jobs a year - I'd say that's more than a couple grand a year. Bottom end new is in the $4K area, but I'm not sure those are any better than what you're using for free. I do know the good systems are $10K and up.

·
Sean
5,537 Posts
Find a real insulation supplier - the cost you are paying to use a "free" blower is how much many insulators charge to blow it in --- then crunch the numbers once you see how much just the insulation will cost you along with having a real machine that is adjustable & not beat to he11 & back

My gut thought is that you are probably in the middle area - it might make sense or not, however if you might get a few more jobs a year the numbers would tip more in your favor

You may also want to check with said supplier as they may have a machine to rent which is not your consumer grade rental unit

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you plan on generating more work, absolutely invest. $4500 for one that is capable of effectively doing attics. probably close to 7 if you intend on doing walls.

The insulation suppliers are going to get you material ALOT cheaper then a box store or lumber yard. I can tell you right now, if I wanted to, I could purchase and install R-30 in an attic and charge less then just the material would cost at lowes, and still make a few bucks. Of course, the price is a little higher then that. lol

Either that or stack all your jobs together in a 2 week period, and I'll vacation to maine once a year and knock em out for you!:)

·
Registered
Remodel
32,288 Posts
I know a guy around here that will buy a bunch of insulation and stick it in a barn, especially if he can get a better deal that way. Even a delivery charge might be worth it. No trips to buy materials, just throw in on and go, but you'd have to have a machine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you plan on generating more work, absolutely invest. $4500 for one that is capable of effectively doing attics. probably close to 7 if you intend on doing walls.

The insulation suppliers are going to get you material ALOT cheaper then a box store or lumber yard. I can tell you right now, if I wanted to, I could purchase and install R-30 in an attic and charge less then just the material would cost at lowes, and still make a few bucks. Of course, the price is a little higher then that. lol

Either that or stack all your jobs together in a 2 week period, and I'll vacation to maine once a year and knock em out for you!:)
This.

I had my insulator quote a friend for his garage attic, my buddy decided to DIY with a box store rental unit, it ended up costing him $20 more than my insulator quoted him, not including fuel and his time.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,288 Posts
This.

I had my insulator quote a friend for his garage attic, my buddy decided to DIY with a box store rental unit, it ended up costing him $20 more than my insulator quoted him, not including fuel and his time.
Agreed. I don't know about the OP's location, but some of the insulation contractors around here run 50-100% higher than HD materials cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts