Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some trim work and trying to wrap my head around how this crown can come together. I'm using a 2pc crown (3 5/8" crown and upside down colonial base) and also have a ceiling panel detail that is 1.5" lower than the ceiling which will have a 2 5/8" mini-crown terminating in the larger crown detail.

my search in google images turned up nothing of value. has anyone done this before/have ideas?

·
Banned
306 Posts
Wet the larger crown with mineral spirits, butt the smaller crown into it. File away the wet spots on the smaller crown. Rinse and repeat.

Dremel tool, block plane, and sandpaper will all help. Patience too... 20-30 minutes times the number of times you need to start over.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Wet the larger crown with mineral spirits, butt the smaller crown into it. File away the wet spots on the smaller crown. Rinse and repeat.

Dremel tool, block plane, and sandpaper will all help. Patience too... 20-30 minutes times the number of times you need to start over.
I use a grider with 50 gritt paper :thumbsup:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

:eek::blink:

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
:tt2::tt2::tt2::tt2:

Seriously though, I'm not a fan.... It appears in Tom's pic that the small crown would terminate above the bottom cove on the larger trim... I personally think it would be a cleaner looking transition if the small crown terminated directly against the curve of the large crown. The block just makes it look too busy to me. Of course the final decision rests with the homeowner.

My $.02

Leo- when are we installing your mailbox? ;)

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I never got good with a profile tool, always seemed to be more work when I tried it.
Did the block thing once and didn't like it, but the customer loved it.

I think I would install the larger crown and using a sacrifice piece just get the shape I need and copy that onto the piece I install. I have done this in older homes with 7' doors and 30" upper cabinets with crown. Its slow going every time I've had to do it, but that's why were employed, to do stuff other people can't.

Coping saw and files is how I like to work, I have 4 files that cover everything I need to do.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,665 Posts
You need a Dremel. Coping saw and a Dremel make fast work of coping crown.

Unless it is Hard Maple trim like my last job. Then you miter, not the crown though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts