Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some solutions to the butchered joists the plumbers always seem to leave in their wake?

Doing a remodel on my first flr bath .....sistered up all the joists....now I have to play plumber and cut in the drain for the new tub ~ which is right where the old tub was.

The previous plumber hacked a good portion of the joist out...I'll probably wind up doing similar to my new sister joist.

So what do you do?
Slap a couple of 2x4's on either side of the 2x8's?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or use 3/4 ply nt much choice there. Simpson or soneone makes a repair plate for this but I think it is for TJI's
I've got some 3/4 left over from the floor...I also have 2x4's...LOL.

I remember seeing those plates here...drilling it out would certainly be better than hacking/notching the joists.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there room for a new lolly column?
It'll piss the wife off when it runs through the dryer :laughing:

....we had one added for the dormer addition....the archy over engineered the ridge beam [triple micro lam]...so the building dept. "decided" to make us put in an additional lolly.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This particular joist is like the bathroom king of joists.
Probably in THE worst possible spot....

The tub drain assembly goes through it at one end....at the other the toilet flange/soil pipe makes it's appearance in the bath.
So the joist gets cut to allow that mess in....and gets blocked with a 4" hole in the blocking.

You can just make out where the old toilet flange was there to the left by the clamp

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joist are over rated. :whistling

...and here I am....concerned with weight even after I removed the cast iron tub to be replaced with a fiberglass or acrylic tub that weighs less then my kids do.

Think I can return the 2x8's to HD :laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Drum traps are so yummy... :laughing:
That one had been replaced
some time in the late 50's(?).
Then in the 70's someone added
a P-trap up stream. :rolleyes:
They are totally amazed at how
fast the tub drains now! :laughing::clap:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much does that tub weigh full of water with a 250 pound person in it?

No one is inviting your fat ass over here :laughing:

The tub will always weigh the same:thumbsup:
What's IN the tub will vary....gallons of water, number of kids, volume of toys :laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
...Think I can return the 2x8's to HD :laughing:
If you're just gonna go and
drill holse in 'em anyway,
the plywood sandwich is far
stronger than sistering with
dimensional. :thumbsup:
(Notice that the old gaps were
filled as well.)

Reactions: Celtic

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While mine is not nearly as hacked as that bath was....those pictures are worth the thousand words.

·
Banned
538 Posts
jesus some of those are horrific. my plumber (who happens to be my uncle) plumbed the 2nd bathroom im adding in my house. he gets ready to leave and goes "oh by the way, you're going to have to head off a floor joist, i cut it."

oh... i see... i went and jumped on the area where he said he cut it, a good 5 times. im 300 pounds and it didnt budge so screw right? who cares baaa fahgetaboutit

1 - 20 of 71 Posts